Chapter 42: Sword Play

Itachi's arrival to the village was greeted by fire. The heat of the flames was almost blinding and it took him a moment longer to process the abrupt change in the once evacuated silence. The saying 'calm before the storm' had never been so apparent and he swiftly found himself avoiding the stray kunai that almost wedged itself in his temple.

      His brief moment of distraction was momentarily forgotten as he jumped onto the nearby village, his eyes locked on the Hokage building that looked as normal as it had when he was inside the false one. He hoped that Shisui and Kazuya could inspect what was left of it after the explosion. His faith in Kazuya was lacking, but Shisui was thankfully his only hope.

      If the entire building was transported, what of the people inside? The elders and the Hokage?

      Doubt filled him until almost felt sick but he didn't let him become overcome by it as he avoided the fires and made his way to the center of the village. He couldn't help but notice that the enemy wasn't attacking it and went as far as to avoid the building. It also occurred to him that the Hokage was nowhere to be seen, and such was odd considering the old man would normally be fighting out in the open to protect his village.

      Just as he got closer, his Sharingan inspecting the building carefully, he noticed that nothing was out of the ordinary and when he jumped into the window he carefully avoid the glass from cutting him. He stood up straight as soon as he was inside, and abruptly noticed that the noise, that had once been ear piercingly loud...was silent. Even the window, which had been shattered upon his arrival, was undamaged. His brows furrowed and he glanced at the ground, that had once been riddled with shattered shards of glass, was empty.

      The village outside was still unchanged and he saw children running about and playing with the once muggy and smoke covered sky, was replaced with a clear blue with a brightly burning sun. He squeezed his eyes shut, kneading the heels of his palms into his eyes before opening them back up again, finding nothing changed and the serene silence of the building drifted over him.

      His Sharingan was still activated, allowing him to see through illusion and yet...he couldn't see through this. Even when he made seals to undo the effect on him, nothing worked and he was trapped in the twisted silence.

      And soon, the only thing left to do was to walk forward, one step at a time.

      But with every step he took, his purpose for coming here seemed to drift away to some far away world that he couldn't remember as the labyrinth of silence overtook him until he felt almost...at peace.

                                                                                      ●▬Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ▬●

         Kazuya and Shisui were silent after Rena and Itachi had entered the red barrier, especially since their personalities conflicted, causing the two to usually end all conversation in a chorus of bickering. Kazuya, being a self-absorbed asshole, something that Kazuya was of course fond of in himself. Shisui however, didn't much care putting fire into Kazuya's ego and said ego seemed to inflate and turn every insult into some kind of compliment.

         Shisui didn't give two shits what Kazuya thought about his earlier statements, I hope you get gelded  is not a compliment, and yet he managed to take it so. Thus, all arguments, no matter how vicious, always ended in Kazuya's favor.