Chapter 7: Lethal Complex

Itachi Uchiha took a deep breath

           Itachi Uchiha took a deep breath. He had been more stressed lately, after all, being an Anbu captain wasn't as easy as he tried to make it look. He was tired. Tired of the Uchiha clan and tired of Konoha. But what was he to do when his own clan threatened to end the peace in Konoha for war.

            He supposed that pretending to be a Genin to watch the Mist ninjas was one of his easier missions. Even if a certain brown haired Mist ninja was getting on his nerves.

            Naomi looked upon Itachi once again from the corner of her eyes. She had noticed that he seemed more distant in the last few months, but about what? He wouldn't tell her. Since he didn't tell her, she naturally assumed it was because he couldn't tell her. That happened a lot with Anbu business.

            Even so, she couldn't help but be concerned about him. As if hearing her thoughts, or maybe feeling her worried glances he spoke.

            "I'm sorry," he finally murmured, looking up from the food that was set out in front of them. Naomi had spent a long time trying to get him to even come to dinner with her, so she wasn't complaining.

            "No, it's fine. I maybe shouldn't have forced you to come out with me. I mean you have too much on your mind and you must be busy. It's my fault," Naomi tried to excuse him, but Itachi shook his head. The bags under his eyes made her heart hurt. She hated seeing him so exhausted. Itachi said nothing as he looked away. "Maybe you should go home and rest."

            "I can't," he said with a small sigh. "I have other matters to attend to." He let out a sigh and looked over at Naomi.

            Even though they were together, he knew he couldn't trust her completely with all his secrets. She was one of the main supporters of the coup. She dreamed of Uchiha power. If she found out everything about him, he knew what would happen.

            "Oh..." Naomi couldn't hide the frown that came on her face. "You're not going to pull another all nighter, are you?" Itachi shrugged, proving he wasn't sure. A disappointed sigh escaped her lips and she shook her head. Itachi turned from her to walk away, her voice stopped him. "Be careful, okay?" She always said this. It didn't help that she wasn't allowed to know the details of his missions. She didn't know if they'd be dangerous or not. She never asked either.

            It wasn't like he'd tell her.

            He was always keeping secrets.

●▬Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ▬●

            Reira hugged her knees into her chest, her head placed into her knees. She let out a small whine of discomfort.

            "Are you okay, Rei-chan?" Ryu asked, his voice low. She shook her head into her knees, her face scraping against her skin.