Chapter XXXV: Brokeback Miguel

Chapter 35: Brokeback Miguel

Miguel types into his computer while Annalisa watches Netflix.

"Hmph," said Miguel.

Annalisa laughs harder while watching the TV.

"Hmph!" he said, louder.

She laughs even louder. "SHE LOST HER HEAD TO A POLE!!! AND NOW THE MOM'S CRYING!!!"

"HMPH!!!"

Annalisa shuts the TV down. "What!?"

"Nothing!"

"Why? I didn't forget anything. Oh, shit. Is it your birthday?"

"It's September."

"Anniversary? Month Anniversary?"

Miguel stays silent.

She pauses for a bit. "Hannukah?"

"Date night."

"Right..."

"I... even... cooked... like... lamb curry in a crockpot."

"Ooh! I love lamb curry! Where is it!?"

"I was supposed to start with it 6 hours ago, but 6 hours ago, you told me to sign the papers you forgot to sign. Every. Single. One."

"Oh. It's been 6 hours?"

Miguel breathes in and holds his breath. "I am tired of you doing... THIS!!!"

"Doing what?"

"THIS!!! You keep... brushing MY EXISTENCE off for some other guy or for some TV time!"

"I had a very long day and-..."

"Anne... I can sense you're lying. You were at the movies with your friends, one of whom was your ex-girlfriend."

"Well-! I deserve a rest day!"

"I've been doing everything in the house. And this whole week you've been watching on that couch. And it's annoying and pissing me off."

"You're right. I'm sorry. I'll go-..."

"No! I'll... go do it now."

"Could you just tone down the crazy just a little bit?"

Miguel's eyes widen.

"I... I didn't mean-..."

Miguel opens a portal. "I'm drinking." The portal closes.

"Shit..." said Annalisa, who proceeded to turn the TV on again and continued laughing.

Meanwhile...

Miguel sighs as he plops down on a seat in a bar and keys in some units in a card reader. He places his order by touching the screen and waits for it. He is then given a glass of pinot noir red wine. He sips it and gives a soft sigh. "I'm not crazy... Right...?" he asked the bartender who isn't paying attention. "I mean! My romantic partner just doesn't help around the house and when I decide to do like a fucking DINNER DATE with her... A SIMPLE ONE, mind you! She... just... made me do some paperwork for 6 hours and apparently, I'm the bad guy! By God! What else? Whenever I scold the kids, she babies them and scolds me for doing it! Wait, no... That's just my Mom and my sister. BUT STILL!!! She knows I hate being called crazy! That's how my Mom used to call me! CRAZY!!! Because, apparently, making sense is insanity in my family. BUT YOU GET IT, RIGHT!?!? She used to cheat on me. We're great now! But... Is this IT!?!? I feel like I'm being half-assed!"

The bartender just ignores him.

"I'm... I'm not crazy..." his eyes quiver and he bows his head.

"You're not crazy," said a young effeminate man next to him.