4

An event unfolds at the university. Every student is present, including Barry, and Jason is grateful to have him by his side. However, amidst the crowd, Jason still grapples with a question, pondering why one of the people he holds dear is choosing distance and ignorance. He feels as though they don't appreciate the time and experiences they spent together. During the event, a sudden vulnerability overtakes Jason, causing dizziness and intense coughing. Struggling to find stability, he stumbles towards the exit. Barry, sensing something amiss, searches anxiously for Jason. Barry discovers Jason unconscious outside. With a heart heavy with worry, Barry calls an ambulance, and they swiftly rush Jason to the hospital. Gravity of the unforeseen depth beneath the surface of the celebratory night. In the hospital, the doctor delivers the heartbreaking news to Jason, he has Stage 4A Lung Cancer. Jason grapples with a profound sense of hopelessness as everything appears to crumble around him. The weight of despair intensifies as he questions himself, wondering what he did to deserve this challenges. It feels as life, in its unyielding force, throws everything at him, leaving him to navigate the wreckage of his shattered world. In the waiting room, Barry anxiously awaits Jason's emergence, concern etched across his face. When Jason appears, Barry inquires, "What happened, man? Are you alright? What did the doctor say?" Jason, responding with a brief smile, says, "Everything is fine. It's just the heat." They both leave the room, but Barry senses that something is off because Jason seems happy. Despite his worry, he chooses not to unravel the smile on his friend's face, opting to preserve the fragile facade of normalcy in the midst of deeper uncertainties. Upon returning home, Jason calls his parents. Their concerned voices inquire about his well-being, and with a brave front, he reassures them that all is well. Despite receiving the most distressing news of the year, he chooses not to burden his parents with worry, striving to shield them from the weight of his own struggles. The only truth he says to his parents is, "I love you both." With a voice on the verge of breaking, he hangs up, and in the solitude follows, tears flows. Aware that his time may be limited, he allows himself to fully feel the weight of the moment, savoring the bittersweet beauty of what may be one of his last connections with those he loves most.