Chapter 38

Walking into her childhood home brought back the stark feeling of emptiness that sunk deeply into her being.

Saul came back to her mind, and tears pricked her eyes again. It seemed all she could do was cry.

Alone in the quiet of her parents' house, Sera sat in the dimly lit living room. The weight of Saul's absence bore down on her, and the constant ache of her wrist felt unbearable. It was a reminder of him.

Her gaze drifted to the old journal she had taken. It lay open on her lap, its pages brittle and filled with Saul's handwritten words. A glimmer of moonlight streamed through the window, casting an ethereal glow on the pages.

With a trembling hand, she began to read, allowing herself to be carried away by Saul's words, transported back in time to his world. She could feel his experiences as if they were her own.

Saul's life unfolded before her, revealing parts of him she had never known. She read about his days as an herbalist, his deep connection to the forest. As she continued to read, Sera found herself immersed in Saul's past, his experiences, and the weight of responsibility that he felt for his family and for the town, and all the factors that had ultimately led him to the portal. It was as if she could hear his voice speaking to her through the ink and paper.

It was no wonder the forest chose him as its guardian. It seems he was the same honorable man then that he was now.

Tears welled up in her eyes as she came to the last entry. The page of hasty scrawl that detailed the sense of foreboding he had felt before the seal on the portal broke, the hardships he endured, the stormy weather, the illnesses that plagued the town— it all became vivid and tangible in her mind. His sacrifice, the darkness of the portal, and the evil that had consumed him were all vividly painted in her mind. It was too much to bear. He didn't make it this time.

As she read the final entries, Sera felt a deep sense of connection with Saul, understanding the burden he had shouldered, the choices he had made, and the profound love he had for the forest and the world. His legacy filled her heart. He was made for greatness and she was lucky to have seen him.

Sera closed the journal and cried for him. She cried into the open night sky, and held the journal against her chest.

She didn't know how to go on without him.

______________________________________________________________________________

Her parents were going to arrive home tomorrow, this was the last day she had on her own. The police stopped by to question her parents. She told them they weren't home until next week. Hopefully they stay gone.

Sera left to go to the forest. She wanted to see the gate again. She had to visit his grave, she owed it to him. She just wanted to wish him well.

In the soft, early morning light, Sera embarked on the familiar path that led her from her parents' house to the hidden gate within the heart of the ancient mountain.

Parking her broken car in the same spot she always did, she walked briskly into the forest. The journey up the mountain felt bittersweet, each step echoed with memories of their time together.

She felt the forest watching her, its whispers of leaves and the sweet scent of pine needles filling the air. She remembered Saul's words, how he had described the forest as a living entity, it didn't seem to know what to do without him. Hopefully it wasn't looking to her for answers because she had no idea either.

As she approached the cave system, the ancient stones loomed before her, weathered by time. She walked in, not realizing how dark it was without Saul lighting up the way.