Chapter 2: 1st Chloe/Kendall showdown

On that Monday afternoon, Abby and Antonio were huddled together in the studio, their laptops open, searching for details on the upcoming competition.

Antonio glanced over at Abby, a hint of curiosity in his voice. "Where's our next competition gonna be at?"

Abby didn't look up from her screen, her fingers typing swiftly. "Columbus, Ohio. And you know who we're up against when it comes to Ohio."

"The rotten apple herself, Cathy Nesbitt-Stein, and her human prop," Antonio quipped, causing Abby to chuckle. Cathy Nesbitt-Stein, a formidable woman in her mid-fifties with short blonde hair, owned the Candy Apples Dance Center in Canton. Their rivalry was storied, each competition a clash of wills and talent.

"You got that right," Abby replied, her eyes scanning the screen for more information.

Antonio leaned in closer. "The girls need to step up after that last competition. Third place isn't good enough."

Abby nodded, her expression serious. "They do."

As the rest of the team trickled into the studio, Abby and Antonio gathered everyone around.

"Listen up," Antonio began, his voice commanding attention. "We were national champions three years in a row. Last weekend, third place. That's not who we are. We need to go into Columbus as a strong, unified team."

"We'll be competing at the Believe Talent Competition," Abby added, her eyes sweeping over the group. "And you know Cathy Nesbitt-Stein will be there, waiting."

A collective shiver ran through the moms and girls alike. Cathy's reputation preceded her.

"And mark my words," Antonio continued, his tone unwavering, "Cathy's team will be tough. They've been preparing for weeks. If we go out there and dance like we did last weekend, they'll beat us."

Abby nodded firmly, her gaze locking onto each dancer. "Kendall, Chloe, you'll both have solos this week. Chloe, you've proven yourself time and again. Kendall, you're nipping at her heels. Chloe, your solo is 'Hear Me Roar'. Kendall, yours is 'Demand Applause'. And the group dance, 'Just Another Number', will feature everyone, including Mackenzie. Girls, warm up. Moms, upstairs."

The moms filed out, murmuring amongst themselves, heading up to the observation deck.

Throughout the week, tensions ran high, especially fueled by Jill and Leslie's ongoing drama. Jill's sharp comments and relentless ambition left the other moms wondering how much longer they could endure her antics.

At the Veterans Memorial Coliseum in Columbus, Ohio, the energy was palpable as fans gathered for the Believe National Talent Competition. The Abby Lee Dance Company and Candy Apples Dance Center contingents arrived amidst cheers, each group preparing for their performances.

Cathy Nesbitt-Stein, leading the Candy Apples group, stepped off their party bus along with Vivi, Nicaya, Hadley, Lucas, Nick, Mari, and their moms—Kaya (aka Patsy), Yvette, Brigette, Donna, and Gina. The crowd's excitement was infectious as they made their way inside.

"Good luck today," Cathy called out to Abby and Antonio as they entered the building, with Gianna and the dancers in tow.

"Thanks," Abby replied, her voice filled with determination. Antonio nodded in acknowledgment, his gaze focused on the tasks ahead.

Inside the dressing room, the atmosphere was tense yet charged with anticipation. Chloe and Kendall began their preparations for their respective solos while the rest of the girls attended to hair and makeup.

"Chloe, let's see it!" Abby's voice echoed through the room, prompting Chloe to emerge in her vibrant red and yellow costume adorned with feathers.

"Channeling your inner Hulk Hogan, huh?" Antonio quipped, earning a round of laughter from everyone.