Chapter 19

January 5th, 1996

I wake up to the sound of the rain dripping quietly outside my window. We are back at our house, and today is the day we go back to school. This feeling of waking up early in my bed, to travel to school felt very familiar, as we had just done this a couple of months ago.

I sit up on my bed, taking in the fact that it was almost quiet. I heard a faint sound of music playing from the kitchen, assuming it was Tonks listening to the radio, and slowly get up out of my bed.

It had been only a couple weeks since Christmas, and even less than that since New Years! We celebrated the New Years by the Weasleys coming over to our house, and when it hit midnight, we banged pots and pans outside of our house. 

Because of my current attire, a tank top and pajama pants, I felt the cold air hit me quickly. I grabbed a black fluffy jacket from my closet and wrapped it around me. After this, I trudge my way to the bathroom.

Looking in the mirror, it looked almost obvious that I had forgotten to do my haircare routine the night before, and forgot to take off my mascara. Streaks of black marks were under my eyes, and my curls seemed to be going every which way. I run my hands through my hair, take the mascara off of my face, and throw my hair back into a bun, with my swept-away bangs framing my face. I was just about to grab my toothbrush and brush my teeth, until I heard a small crash at my window. I hurriedly rush towards the noise.

"Oh, hello!" I say, noticing the owl perched outside of my window, a letter in hand.

"Thank you!" I exclaim, walking back to my bed, and opening the letter. I expected it to be a note from a friend, maybe, or a letter from the school. What I opened was far from what I thought it was going to be.

I know your secret.

This was written on a blank white piece of parchment, and a perplexed look came to my face, wondering what that could possibly mean. Who was this from?

Was this a joke? A prank? It possibly could be. My mind ran through many possible outcomes this letter could have been. As I look closer at the paper, it looks as if the phrase was written in blood, or something red, making the letter even more mysterious and unsettling.

"Lor, what are you doing? We're going to be late," Harry rushes past my room, seeming to be struggling to put his coat on over all of the other layers of clothing he is wearing. I quickly shove the letter under my pillow, and then thinking about it for a little bit, decide to take it with me, not wanting it to get lost.

I want to figure this out.

~~

The train was bustling with the students rushing to find a seat, as I try to make my way through. With my bag clutched close to my chest, and my book in my hand, I started to feel a little claustrophobic. I found the nearest train compartment and quickly walked into it, closing the door behind me. Turning around, I notice Neville sitting one of the seats closest to the window. He gives me a sweet smile.

"Hi, Lor!" He says, ushering me to sit by him, which I gladly do.

"How was your Christmas?" I ask, curious as to what his response will be.

"It was good, I got to visit my parents, and my mom gave me these," he reaches into his pocket, pulling out several candy wrappers. "I know it doesn't seem like much, but it means a lot."

"Nev, that's amazing!" I exclaim. I know how much he loves his parents, and these gestures that seem small, are actually huge.

"Thanks," he smiles at me, and I return the expression.