Chapter 16: I Love You

It was past midnight when Taylor quietly opened the front door of her apartment and snuck in, hoping not to wake up Madison and Selena. She exhaled when the front door shut, leaning on it for a moment to take in the night's events.

The date with Travis went better than expected. They realized they had a lot of things in common and shared the same goals. He was level-headed, although cocky at times, but it was nothing that Taylor couldn't handle.

Throughout the evening, Travis was respectful, and she was just as interested in his life as he was in hers. He didn't mind her popstar status and she was curious whether he'd be able to handle it, having a public life of his own. A second date was already in the works while they were still at dinner and Travis confirmed it after their kiss good night.

The butterflies in Taylor's stomach were doing backflips - something she hasn't experienced since her first few dates with Joe. She was even happier because when she called that she was coming back, Selena said Madison was already asleep. Apparently, Madison was able to ground herself when her anxiety rose, and focused on watching the movie without having another panic attack. It was a win-win night.

Quietly removing her heels to avoid any noise, Taylor tiptoed into the living room where Selena and Madison were fast asleep on the sofa. Selena, sensing someone's presence, stirred and sat up, relaxing upon seeing Taylor.

"Hey, Tay, how did it go?" she asked, yawning and stretching her arms.

Taylor responded in a hushed, happy tone, "Really good. Really, really good."

She then approached Madison and gently rubbed her back. "Hey baby, let's get you to bed."

Madison's eyes fluttered open, a sleepy smile spreading across her face at the sight of Taylor. "You're back."

"Of course I am," Taylor said softly, offering her arms to lift Madison. "I'll never leave you, darling." As she picked her up, Madison nestled her head on Taylor's shoulder, comforted and secure in her embrace as Taylor carried her to bed.

Gently laying Madison down in her bed, Taylor carefully tucked the covers around her, ensuring she was snug and comfortable. The room was peaceful, bathed in the soft glow of the nightlight. Madison looked up at Taylor, her eyes heavy with sleep but filled with affection.

"I love you," Madison murmured softly.

Taylor, feeling a surge of love and protectiveness, leaned down and kissed Madison's forehead. "I love you too," she whispered back.

Back in the living room, Taylor joined Selena, who was eagerly awaiting details.

"So? How was it?" Selena asked, her eyes sparkling with curiosity.

Taylor sank into the sofa, a dreamy smile on her face. "It was amazing, Sel. I've never dated anyone like him before."

"Really? What's so different?" Selena leaned in, intrigued.

"He's just... down-to-earth, despite everything. And he's genuinely interested in my world, not just the popstar part," Taylor explained, her voice tinged with excitement.

Selena nudged her playfully. "Sounds like you're smitten."

Taylor laughed, unable to hide her happiness. "Maybe I am. It's just really refreshing."

She sighed, a reflective look crossing her face. "You know, Sel, Joe and I have been drifting apart for so long, I forgot what it's like to... feel this way. To feel excited and genuinely connected with someone."

Selena reached out, placing a comforting hand on Taylor's. "You deserve this, Tay. You deserve to be happy and to feel that spark again."

Taylor thanked her best friend and walked her to the front door. In the privacy of her own bedroom, she let her thoughts roam of what her future would look like for her and Madison. Travis didn't know that Taylor is now technically a mom - would he care? Would this affect her dating life?

Truth be told, Taylor didn't care too much. Sure, it would be nice for this spark to turn into something major, but Madison will always come first.

The prospect of dating as a guardian was new territory for Taylor. She acknowledged the potential complications, yet, deep down, she knew Madison's well-being was paramount. Any new relationship would not only bring scrutiny upon Taylor but could inadvertently thrust Madison into the spotlight, a reality Taylor had to consider carefully. For her, Madison's safety and happiness were the guiding stars in this uncharted journey.