Chapter 35: Helping with Homework

Author's note: I'm in a writing slump, going through your suggestions, so if you guys want me to write about anything specific let me know :) I don't wanna wrap this story just yet, so it may have a few more chapters - it'll be slightly longer than my other ones :)

Arriving back from their holiday, Madison found herself buried in her homeschooling work, trying to catch up. One particular math problem had been giving her trouble for a while. She scribbled furiously, erasing repeatedly, her frustration mounting with each passing minute. Finally, in a fit of exasperation, she slammed her pencil down. "I can't do this! It's impossible!"

Just then, Taylor walked into the room, sensing Madison's distress. She sat down beside her, her voice calm and soothing. "Having a rough time, huh?"

Madison, her cheeks flushed with frustration, looked up at Taylor. "This math thing. I've been at it for ages, and I just can't figure it out. I'm way too stupid for this."

Taylor's heart ached at Madison's words. She gently took the pencil and set it aside, turning to face Madison directly. "Hey, look at me. You are not stupid. Not even close. Math can be tough, but it doesn't define your intelligence. We're not stupid if we don't know something that hasn't been taught to us."

Madison looked down, tears brimming in her eyes. "But it feels like I should be able to do this. I just feel like an idiot for even trying."

Taylor took Madison's hands in hers, ensuring she had her full attention. "Math is just one subject. It's okay to find it challenging. What matters is that you're trying, and that's more than enough."

Madison sniffled, the anger slowly dissipating, replaced by a sense of reassurance. "Really? You think so?"

"I know so," Taylor affirmed with a smile. "Now, how about we tackle this problem together? We'll take it one step at a time, and if it's still tricky, that's okay."

Taylor scooted her chair closer to Madison, peering at the problem on the page.

"It's this part I don't understand," Madison pointed to a complex equation, glaring at it like it was her biggest arch nemesis.

Taylor nodded, her eyes scanning the problem. "Okay, let's break it down step by step. I know you can do this."

With gentle guidance, Taylor helped Madison work through the equation, explaining each step with clarity and patience. "See, when you divide here, it simplifies the problem."

Madison, following along, slowly began to grasp the concept. "Oh, I think I see now. It's like breaking it into smaller pieces. So if I divide... that makes it a 9?"

"Exactly!" Taylor exclaimed, proud of Madison's progress. "You're getting it. Just take it one step at a time. Now you just need to subtract."

As the afternoon went on, Taylor continued to assist Madison with her homework. When Madison would get frustrated and try to belittle herself for not knowing something, Taylor would gently remind her of the importance of being kind to herself.

They eventually wrapped up the evening and settled on the sofa to watch a movie. The sound of the front door opening announced Travis's arrival. He entered the living room, looking a bit weary but with a smile on his face.

"Hey, how are my two favorite Swift ladies?" Travis asked, dropping his football gear by the door and joining them on the sofa.

Madison looked up, a mischievous twinkle in her eye. "We're good, but we'd be better if someone could teach us some of those famous football moves."

Travis laughed, stretching his legs out. "Oh, you want to learn from the pro, huh? Well, I'd be happy to teach you, but are you ready for that level of athleticism?"

Taylor joined in the teasing. "Athleticism? Is that what you call what you do on the field? I thought it was more like an elegant dance."

"Very funny," Travis retorted with a grin. "I'll have you know that football requires grace under pressure. It's practically ballet."

Madison giggled at the comparison. "Ballet, huh? So, when's your debut in 'Swan Lake,' Mr. Ballerina?"

Travis pretended to ponder the question. "Well, I'm still waiting for the right offer. But for now, I'll stick to the less glamorous world of football."

Taylor smiled, leaning into Travis. "We're just teasing you. We're both so proud of you and all your hard work."

Travis wrapped an arm around both of them. "I know, I know. And I couldn't ask for a better fan club. So, what did you two do today?"

Madison leaned into the comfortable embrace, her smile reflecting the warmth of the moment. "Taylor was helping me with my math homework today. It was... challenging."

Travis looked at Taylor with a playful glint in his eye. "Really? Taylor, the math whiz? I'm learning new things about you every day."

Taylor feigned offense, her hand on her chest. "Hey, I'll have you know I'm quite the mathematician. I may write songs, but I can solve equations with the best of them."

Madison laughed, enjoying the light-hearted banter. "She's actually really good at it. She made it so much easier to understand."

Travis chuckled, "Well, I guess we know who to go to for all our math needs. Just don't ask me for help; I'm more of a physical education kind of guy."

Taylor gave Travis a playful nudge. "Good to know. We'll keep the math and the music to ourselves then, Maddie."