Chapter 18: A Re-Do

Author's note: gqldskies here ya go your favorite trope ;)

The next day, as Taylor's private doctor arrived to take a blood sample from Madison, her fear of what was about to happen was noticeable. Madison's eyes were wide with apprehension at the sight of the needle.

Taylor knelt beside her, offering a comforting embrace. "I know, baby, I'm afraid of needles too," she admitted softly, trying to soothe Madison's fears.

Through her tears, Madison looked up at Taylor, her voice quivering. "Then why are you making me do this?" she asked, her words tugging at Taylor's heart.

"It's to make sure you're healthy, sweetheart," Taylor explained gently. "Sometimes we have to do things we're scared of, but I promise, I'll be right here with you. We'll be brave together, okay?"

Madison sniffled, nodding slowly as Taylor held her hand, ready to support her through the process.

As the doctor prepared for the blood draw, he turned his attention to Madison. "Are you feeling any better today, Madison?" he asked gently.

Madison gave a small nod in response, her eyes still fixed on the needle.

Taylor, standing close by, chimed in to provide more details. "Her fever went down during the night," she informed the doctor, her tone laced with both relief and lingering concern. She squeezed Madison's hand reassuringly.

The doctor smiled warmly, trying to put Madison at ease. "That's what I like to hear. Now, this will just sting for a bit, just so I can get your blood, okay?"

But Madison suddenly shook her head, her eyes wide with fear. "Please don't," she pleaded softly.

Taylor knelt down beside her. "Hey, it's going to be okay. It'll be over before you know it, and I'll be right here with you the whole time," she said, her voice soothing. "How about we think of a fun place you'd like to visit while the doctor does his work? Where would you like to go in your imagination?" Taylor gently suggested, hoping to distract Madison from her fear.

As the doctor carefully moved the needle closer to Madison's arm, she closed her eyes tightly and gripped Taylor's hand. In a scared, trembling voice, Madison whispered, "The ocean. I... I want to splash in the waves. With you."

Taylor, trying to keep Madison calm and distracted, gently prompted her, "That sounds wonderful, Mads. Can you tell me what else we'd do there?"

The doctor drew blood from the needle - Madison squeezed Taylor's hand extra hard. The pain was brief, but her grip revealed her discomfort. Madison whimpered, burying her face in Taylor's sweater. Her whimpers soon turned into cries.

"It's okay, honey," Taylor rubbed Madison's back, "you did it. It's over. You were so brave."

"And that's all done," smiled the doctor as he carefully sealed the pipette and packed his suitcase. "I'll send over the results in two or so days." He looked at Madison who was still crying in Taylor's embrace.

"Thank you," nodded Taylor and watched him leave. Madison was still enveloped in her embrace, her sobs now slowly subsiding.

"You owe me a trip to the ocean for that," Madison sniffled, making Taylor smile.

"Soon, baby, soon."

Soon after, her phone rang. It was Travis. "Hey, Taylor. Just checking in. How's Madison doing?"

Before Taylor could reply, Madison, hearing his voice through the speaker, called out, "I'm better!"

Travis laughed. "Is that her?"

"Yep!" Madison replied, her voice stronger now as she wiped her tears

Taylor chuckled. "Alright, smartie pants, you speak to him then." She handed the phone to Madison, smiling at their interaction.

As Madison chatted with Travis, Taylor could only hear her side of the conversation, but it was clear that Travis was engaging her with what Taylor found somewhat suspicious questions about herself.

"I got my blood drawn and I hate needles. It was scary," Madison commented, as if Travis was just another one of Taylor's friends she was talking to.

Madison glanced at Taylor and said into the phone, "Yeah, she treats me really well." She paused, listening, and then giggled. "She sings sometimes, but not in the shower. Just around the house."

As Madison chatted away on the phone, Taylor couldn't help but be amused by her responses. "Oh, and she makes really good pancakes. You should try them sometime," Madison said with a knowing look towards Taylor.

The playful banter continued, and Madison, lounging on the bed, chimed in confidently, "Yes, I think we're free on Saturday."

Taylor raised an eyebrow in amusement. "We have to go see Tree on Saturday," she reminded her gently.

But Madison, caught up in the moment, playfully dismissed her. "We're definitely free, I just checked her schedule," she declared, causing Taylor to chuckle. "And I want to redeem myself for yesterday's bad performance."

Taylor could hear Travis laugh.

"No funny business though, Mr Travis Kelce. We run a tight ship here and she listens to me when it comes to boyfriends."

And with that, Taylor decided that it was time to take the phone from Madison.

"Alright, that's enough," she laughed, speaking into the phone, "so what are we doing on Saturday?"

Travis chuckled, "A dinner re-do. Man, your girlie is something."

Taylor smiled, lovingly looking at Madison with pride, "she is, isn't she?"

"I assume you want to keep her a secret from the public?" Travis' question was sincere.

Taylor nodded, "just for a little while longer. So dinner will have to be at our place, I'm afraid."

"Alright, I'll bring my apron and cook somethin' for all three of us then. You can tell your chef to take a day off," Travis' tone was determined and yet witty.

Taylor laughed, the sound light and genuine. "Well, if you're bringing your apron, I'll make sure to have a fire extinguisher ready. Just in case."

Travis joined in with a chuckle. "Hey, I'll have you know I'm a wizard with a skillet. Your chef might just find themselves out of a job."

"Is that so?" Taylor teased, a playful glint in her eye. "Well, Mr. Wizard, we'll be eagerly waiting to see your culinary magic."

As they ended the call, Taylor felt a warmth in her heart she hadn't known she needed. It was something that was missing in her life for the past few years since her and Joe have drifted apart. But this felt like a new chapter, a new beginning to something she hoped would be very magical not just for herself, but for Madison, too.