f i f t e e n

~Graham~

~Graham~

*9 years earlier*

I was so cold.

It was like my lungs were frozen solid as I struggled to inhale and exhale with each breath. Ace's arms held me tightly to his chest not daring to let go.

"It's okay Row" He whispered, "You're gonna be okay."

I think he might've been trying to convince himself more than he was me. 

Because I didn't feel okay. I had no idea what dying felt like, but this must be it. It was like I was teetering on the edge of harsh reality or peaceful oblivion not daring to move in either direction. If I wanted, I could take the step towards that paradise, but the boy holding me tight to his chest kept me from moving at all.

Soon I felt hard rock beneath my body, and I barely cracked my eyes open enough to know that we made it to the cave. Without the warmth of the sun, it was even colder in the small hideout. My entire body was convulsing with shivers, only causing the pain to heighten.

Ace dug through his pack and pulled out a blanket. He laid it on me, and I hoped it would quell the icy pain that had consumed my body, but it was of no use.

"I'm going to go get wood for a small fire okay?" Ace muttered, and I heard the panic creeping into his voice. "I need you to stay alive until I get back."

When I didn't answer, Ace let out a shaky breath. "Please, Squirt"

It took a lot of strength, but I managed a barely perceptible nod.

The sound of Ace's retreating footsteps told me that he'd left the cave. Hopefully, no other tributes were on this side of the river because I'm a sitting duck right here.

My mind faded in and out of unconsciousness for what felt like hours. It was a pain like none other I'd ever experienced. Even if I wanted to, I couldn't move any of my limbs. My eyes were now too heavy for me to lift, and limbs too frozen for any feeling at all.

I vaguely heard Ace return to the cave and start building the fire. I had no idea how he was in such a better state than me, but being twice my size may provide for extra insulation.

Soon the familiar sound of crackling fire filled the cave. Strong arms scooped me up and set me down once more.

The warmth of the fire combined with the blanket was enough to keep me conscious for a bit longer than usual. "Tell me a story" I croaked out after some time.

Ace lets out a shaky sigh from beside me, "Okay" He whispers and pauses to think for a couple of seconds, "Once upon a time there was a girl who had the heart of a lion but the stature of a sheep."