Chapter 29: Defense Menace

Emil's comebacks echoed so loud that the jailers didn't know how to react either. But of course, they surely left Hayden feeling dumbfounded and defeated. The decisive stance Emil took made it clear that he wanted nothing to do with Hayden after the pain he caused. This marked a pivotal moment for Emil, who, fueled by a newfound courage, had spoken his truth and distanced himself from the toxic influence of his older brother. As Emil turned sideways and walked out of the prison cell, leaving Hayden behind, the finality of the situation settled in. Hayden had to come to terms that he had irreversibly damaged his relationship with his family. After walking out of the prison cell, he informed the officer that he was done talking with Hayden.

Emil: Officer, I just finished talking with Hayden.

Officer: Oh, that fast? When will you visit him again?

Emil: Never again. This is the first and last time I will come around.

Emil: I hope he is doomed for his "precious" extra 40 years behind bars. 

Back in Sweden, Alexa and Anya were nearing the end of their afternoon public health classes as their last professor of the day was finished lecturing for their period. The professor assigned two quizzes to be completed by the following Monday at 5 pm. In addition, an interactive group assignment was announced with a deadline set for 11:59 pm on the same day.

Professor: Okay, I finished lecturing! Have a great rest of your day and you know what's due on Monday!

Professor: As always, be proactive!

Alexa: Towards Anya. Ugh, why do we have our next assignment due on Monday? That usually takes hours to finish.

Alexa: I'm not feeling good about the other members of our group. They still haven't responded back to my canvas emails.

Anya: Girl, chill. The professor had just unlocked the assignment.

Anya: How many times do I have to tell you not to sweat it or get flustered easily when it comes to studies?

Anya: All you ever do is work. You need time to relax.

Alexa: Yeah, but the assignment is worth more than our quizzes. If the other members don't do their part, we will both get a crappy grade.

Anya: Well, I can ask a friend of mine for some help in case they don't pull their weight. She always finishes early too.

Anya: Besides, I'm thinking of going to the spa after this since our men got basketball practice to worry about.

Anya: I want you to come with me. I won't take no for an answer.

Alexa: Ok. I don't mind going with you.

Alexa: Maybe that can help me take my overworked mind off of uni work.

Anya: That's my good girl. Glad to be helping you to feel more open to life.

Anya: An occasional girly time is necessary for the both of us.

Taking Anya's advice to heart, Alexa decided to take a break from her university work and joined her friend for a relaxing spa day. As they entered the spa, they were treated to special services designed to provide relaxation and rejuvenation. Massages, bathing in baths filled with strong-scented red roses, and manicures were part of the pampering experience. For Alexa, it was a new and pleasant experience, having never been to a spa before. The soothing ambiance, coupled with the therapeutic treatments, helped distract her from the constant worry about studies and grades. Anya's company definitely added to the enjoyment. After the spa session, feeling refreshed and revitalized, they decided to grab a drink together.

Anya: So, Alexa...How do you like your new nails?

Alexa: Never done anything with them before, but the design is cool.

Alexa: They're exactly my style, actually.

Anya: That's sweet. The nail artists are good at what they do there.

Anya: Don't listen to people who say acrylic nails break off easily. They should last nearly a month.

Alexa: Being at the spa was much more enjoyable than I ever imagined. I wouldn't mind coming here again.

Anya: Well, if you say so, I wouldn't mind that either. I usually come here with my friends to relax.

Suddenly, Anya got a notification from one of her other friends, Trina.

Anya: Oh my god. Am I seeing this for real?!

Alexa: What's going on, Anya?

Anya: She turned her phone screen towards Alexa. Look at this! It's my friend Trina!

Anya: Her dog Malin got seriously injured half an hour ago...

Anya: Basically, a stranger's beagle with rabies went full-on crazy and attacked her when she was taking Malin out for a stroll.

Anya: Poor doggie got her eyes scratched and her front limbs bleeding real bad.

Alexa: Aww, I feel sorry for the dog and your friend. Malina is in really bad condition.

Alexa: She needs to be taken to the vet asap.

Anya: I know right? That's what I told her.

Then Alexa got a notification from her phone after Anya did. Their other group members of the disease assignment finally replied to her messages on canvas.

Alexa: They finally replied!

Anya: Who? You mean the other members of our group assignment?

Alexa: Yes, it's them!

Anya: Told you not to worry over that.

Anya: Like I said, they will eventually reply 'cause they will have no choice but to do so.

As the girls enjoyed their time together near the spa, their boyfriends Marcus and Oscar were immersed in the final minutes of their basketball practice. The court was alive with the intensity of the game. Marcus, playing on the defense team, faced off against Karel Norberg from the offense team. Both were considered the best players, and the matchup promised to be a thrilling conclusion to the practice session. The court echoed with the sounds of sneakers squeaking against the floor, the rhythmic dribbling of the basketball, and the occasional swish of the net as other players continued their drills. Coach Olsen and the coach from the offense team, observed the players closely, waiting for them to showcase their skills.

Coach Olsen: Come on, Karlsson! Show him what you got!

Other Coach: Norberg, you got this! Finish strong!

In the one-on-one matchup between Karel and Marcus, Karel initially seemed to have the upper hand, showcasing impressive ball-handling skills. Despite Marcus's attempts to snatch the ball without resorting to physicality, Karel managed to dribble the ball closer to the net. However, just as Karel was about to make a shot, Marcus, demonstrating his defensive prowess, jumped in front of him, skillfully catching the ball and throwing it away from the net. The strategic move prevented the offense team from scoring, saving a point for the defense team and showcasing Marcus's agility and defensive capabilities. Finally, time came to a halt and practice was over.

Oscar: Dude, I was nervous you weren't going to beat him. Norberg's offense skills were a menace.

Marcus: Bro really thought I'd dodge away as he was about to throw the ball.

Oscar: I can't believe our official game is coming on the first day of next month.

Marcus: Me too. Let's hope we don't catch a cold like melons in ice that day.

Oscar: Haha, true. No shot our team is gonna win if that was the case.

Oscar: We gotta make sure Norberg doesn't scroll us over and retrieve the ball before you in the competition.

Marcus: F**k, I'm so tired. I was dying for practice to be over since 3.

Marcus: Coach Olsen is really not letting us get any rest. He's increased our average training time to 5 days a week.

Oscar: Yeah, I've been missing our Counter-Strike gaming sessions for a while.