Chapter 10: Guided By Elders

The moon hung low in the sky, casting long shadows across the village streets. Since the assault on Bell and Alice by the village children, Alfia's stern discipline silenced the tormentors but did little to thaw the twins' isolation.

Her gaze alone sent shivers down the spines of any malicious onlookers, causing them to flee in terror. Despite Alfia's vigilance, the twins couldn't escape the palpable loneliness. The townspeople, once indifferent, now recoiled from Alfia's presence. Fearful whispers and curious eyes followed them.

In the days that followed, Bell and Alice found themselves more isolated than ever. Even the sanctuary of their shared moments, playing games together, couldn't banish the weight of solitude. Their laughter, once vibrant, had dulled into echoes.

A week after the incident, in their dimly lit room, Bell and Alice prepared for bed. Their steps were slow, as if each movement required extra effort. While Alfia's presence quelled the torment, it deepened their isolation.

The adults, sensing the twins' distress, gathered to deliberate in the living room.

"I don't see any alternative except leaving the village," Zues voiced concern, brows furrowed.

Hera nodded "With Alfia and Zald, we can move freely. Asgard should suit the twins well."

Alfia, simmering with rage, cut in; "I refuse to let the twins stay here any longer. We should leave immediately. Those scum are lucky I didn't massacre them."

Zald added, "Asgard will be good, despite its proximity to Dargon Valley."

The weight of the decision bore down on them as Zues emphasized, "Now we just have to see what Bell and Alice want to do."

The room fell into a tense silence. Alfia and Zald, attuned to the slightest sounds, turned towards the hallway.

"You can come out now," Alfia's voice sliced through the quiet.

From the hallway emerged Bell and Alice, clad in pajamas, their hands tightly intertwined. Their eyes met those of the adults.

"We want to leave after the Spring Festival," Bell declared, while Alice nodded.

Zeus raised a brow, a smirk dancing on his lips. Hera sighed, knowing Alfia's likely reaction.

"Why do you want to wait? That festival is nearly a month away," Alfia inquired, her gaze unwavering.

"Aki's coming back. She is our only friend, and we would like to see her again and let her know where we will be," Bell explained

"She? I take it this Aki person is a girl?" Alfia's eyes narrowed, suspicion casting a shadow over her features as she honed on the name of this unfamiliar female hovering around her nephew.

Hera, interjected her tone calm and soothing. "Alfia, you need to relax. Aki is a wonderful and gentle child. She is also one of the few people that is kind to Bell and Alice."

"Uhmp. Fine, but I will be meeting this Aki," Alfia declared

Side story Start:

In a distant city, Aki shivered, feeling as though she was being watched by a great predatory monster. Her fur bristled and she let out an involuntary noise

"Meow!"

Side Story End

"Aki is our friend, Auntie, please be nice to her," Alice pouts, her eyes wide and pleading,

Alfia, her stern countenance immediately softened, couldn't resist the pull of those pleading eyes. "Fine. I will give her a fair chance,"

With the decision made Zeus was the first to speak: "Well, now that is settled, we can start preparing. We can tell Aki where you two will be. Asgard is a huge city. I am sure her family will make stops there. If I recall, after taking out Orario, it is one of the 10 largest cities on the continent. Should be a lot like Orario. Asgard is also on the northern coast, so you will both be able to visit the ocean. I am sure you will like it.