Chapter 20

AN: Picture this. I have just finished writing chapter 24 and was ready to put up todays chapter. So I go back through my document to copy the chapter over. Only when I do, 2/3 of the chapter is missing! So there I am panicking as I knew I had completed it but now couldn't find it. Thankfully, because I have worked on this before work, I had a copy of the finished chapter on my work laptop. So I had to quickly boot that up and email the chapter to myself. What a pain in the ass! Thankfully though, the chapter is here for you. Enjoy another long one.

Hayden woke first the following morning as the sun streamed in through the window of his bedroom. His mind instantly reminded him as to the events of last night. As Hayden hadn't driving Astrid home, that meant that she was still here. Thinking back to the previous night, Hayden's face flushed red. It had started with Hayden saying they shouldn't do anything. Then Astrid had kissed him and all opposition he had faded away. Next thing Hayden did was pick Astrid up and carry her upstairs to his room where he set her down before making out. Everything after that was a little fuzzy but he was confident that they didn't sleep together. Not that it would have mattered, they had obviously slept together before, what would have mattered was that Astrid was still coming down from the break up. She didn't need his baggage either.

As he was lost in his mind, he felt a body shift next to him and a small soft moan emanated from the body. Hayden rolled over and wrapped his arm around Astrid's sleeping almost naked body. His mind became acutely aware of what they were both wearing which was very very little. Astrid had only a bra and panties on while Hayden was wearing only the boxers he wore the previous day. Hayden's thoughts raced through his mind as he contemplated the idea of asking Astrid out on a date. He couldn't lie, he was still madly in love with her, how could he not? She was just as beautiful as she was all those years prior. On the other hand, Astrid was recently out of a relationship, a near marriage no less.

Hayden was so lost in his thoughts that he didn't notice Astrid stir in his arms and awake to Hayden spooning her. Her mind was frozen as she too realised what happened last night but a small smile appeared on her face. "Morning Hayden" Astrid said sleepily. Hayden mumbled a reply as he placed a kiss on her neck. "Did we? You know?" she asked suddenly as a new thought went through her mind. "No, we didn't" Hayden responded, "we just made out." Astrid hummed and stayed laid in Hayden's arms when he suddenly asked, "why do you ask? Would you have regretted it?" Her breath caught in his throat as she pondered the answer, did he think she still loved Erick? Or was it something else?

She rolled over in his arm to look at him, "no of course not!" she defended. "Ever since I came home and reconnected with you" Astrid started, "my love for you has rekindled and grown. I have been debating whether or not to tell you or ask you out but I didn't know if my feelings for you were real or just rebound for Erick." Hayden stayed silent and listened as Astrid continued her proposal, "last night highlighted to me that my feelings for you are real, not just a rebound. Last night was the first time in a long while that I have felt truly loved." Hayden smiled which cause Astrid's heart to skip a beat but what he said next filled her with love. "Would you like to get dinner with me some time?" Hayden asked. Astrid very quickly answered, "yes, like a date?" Hayden laughed before specifying the date, "how about tomorrow?"

Astrid looked a little puzzled, "why not today?" Hayden smiled again, "there's a fundraiser being held at the manor today for disabled vets. Why don't you come with?" Astrid thought for a few minutes as she decided whether or not to agree. "Why not, it sounds fun" Astrid agreed. Hayden smiled and rolled out of bed as Astrid watched him with interest. "I'm going to take a shower and then get ready" Hayden stated before looking at the alarm clock, "it starts in two hours so we need to go in an hour." With that he exited the room into what Astrid assumed was the ensuite bathroom leaving Astrid wrapped up in his bed. She snuggled into the warmth and smiled biting her lower lip at the thought of going out with Hayden.