Chapter 3

Seven years, that's how long it had been since the Haddocks had seen their son. Seven years since they had disowned him and thrown him out. Neither parent had spoken with their son, neither knew how he was or where he was. Gobber had kept them informed that their son was indeed still alive. He had been trying to convince them to reach out and mend things for three years before he had finally stopped trying. The two didn't know why and neither wanted to know. Stephen had stayed as distant as he had been, ignoring questions about his son when asked. "What son?" was the response he'd give when asked.

Valerie had dived into her charity work, pretending to not care that their son had been thrown out. In truth, she had thought about reaching out, trying to mend things but as the years went on, it became harder and harder to do so. She secretly worried about her son, about the danger he was putting himself in. She knew that deep down, Stephen worried too, it was the whole reason he had kick him out. It was worry, for not just him, but for both parents. Still, life went on, both missing their son but neither having the strength to do anything about it.

That was until one fateful day. Both were out at a gala to celebrate an achievement of the Haddock Corporation. Gobber was also in attendance, wearing his Vietnam uniform as he did to all events. Stephen was wearing a posh expensive tuxedo while Valerie wore a black evening gown. There were many other businessmen and women in attendance, as well as several members of the various approved media sources. The Snows had also attended since they were business partners. They hadn't chosen to comment on the choices of their friends and instead only mentioned their son when prompted.

At this point, neither family knew of the horrific events that had transpired in Kandahar or the condition of their children. For them, it was just an ordinary day, another awards gala, another event of making friends and future business deals. The evening started off just like any other. The speaker talked through the plans, gave out the award to Stephen Haddock and a few other got up to give speeches about the great titan of industry. Then the eating and dancing had begun. This was usually where the guests would mingle and arrange future dealings. Tonight, was no different, Stephen and his business partner Albert were speaking with some new potential clients. Valerie, Gobber and Jane were standing to one side speaking with some other guests.

Nobody noticed the army general that entered the gala hall, not until he started to make his way through the crowd. Upon reaching Jane, Gobber and Valerie, the general cleared his throat to get their attention. They turned to face the man and Jane's smile faded. "No, please no" she started whispering which caused a frown to form on Valerie's face. "A-are they?" Gobber struggled to question as the emotion started to build. Victor's face was filled with sorrow, "they are alive, but injured." Jane started crying, "h-how b-bad?" she said softly between sniffles. "Jack has sustained a few injuries but is recovering, Hayden however is in critical condition with multiple life threatening injuries." Valerie gasped which caused heads to turn and conversations to stop.

Stephen and Albert rushed over. Albert immediately began to comfort his wife. "Victor, what's happened?" he said quickly. "I was just telling your wife and Gobber" the man started, "they are both in critical condition. I suggest you both come with me now. I have a military cargo plane on standby to take us to Hamburg." Stephen and Valerie exchanged a look before nodding. "We'd like to come too." Stephen announced. Victor looked at them both, "who are you?" he questioned. He knew they weren't listed as family. "They are Hayden's parents." Gobber said quickly. Victor looked at Gobber surprised before motioning them all to follow him. He was in for one awkward journey and definitely an awkward round of questions.

The flight was surprising less awkward than Victor had first thought. Mainly because he had stayed out of the family's way, opting to stay in the cockpit with the flight crew. He only came out to give updates or estimated times for arrival. The awkwardness was between the Snows, Gobber and the Haddocks. The latter sat silently as they secretly worried about their son. No matter what they had said and done, they still loved their son. "Who is that man? You called him Victor." Valerie eventually said, breaking the silence. "General Victor Grimborn, he is in charge of Delta Force." Albert responded calmly. "Delta Force? What would my son have to do with them?" Stephen commented, more rudely than he meant to.