chapter 004: cruel summer

╔══════╗

❝THIS SCHOOL SUCKS, MAN! IT SUCKS!❞

THIS SCHOOL SUCKS, MAN! IT SUCKS!

╚══════╝

"I'M SORRY ABOUT YOUR EYE

"I'M SORRY ABOUT YOUR EYE."

Ali apologized. "I guess you should've just given it to him," she frowns, stuffing her hands in her pocket.

Daniel pauses his attention on the soccer ball to trail his eyes up on Ali's. "Why? It wasn't his, right?"

You watched Ali and Daniel converse from a distance. You were stretching with all the other cheerleaders, and Ali couldn't stop talking about how bad she felt for Daniel the other day, so you encouraged her to go over there and talk to him.

It's not that you were jealous— because you aren't— weren't.

"Cheerleaders, over here!" The coach calls, catching both your and Ali's attention.

Ali places the soccer ball back in Daniel's hand, making her way over to where all the cheerleaders are however a question causes her to turn back around.

"Hey, you got a name?" Asked Daniel.

"Ali," she trails off, "with an i."

The blond continues to stroll off with a hint of a hurry, yet that doesn't stop her from asking, "What's your name?"

"Daniel... with an l."

Ali giggles before finally rushing to go to the bleachers. She takes a seat next to you with a smile on her face. It wasn't as big as the one with LaRusso, though you decided to not say anything.

You interlock your fingers whilst sitting them on your knees. The sun was still blazing in your face from earlier today, still causing you to furrow your eyebrows and squint your eyes.

Coach was complaining about some random things and it was clear as day that no one was listening to her. It was too hot to even focus.

"Okay? You guys all got that? Now, let's get up to practice." Synchronized nods come from the cheerleaders before you and them all get up from the bleachers to practice.

Ali nudged her elbow onto your bare arm whispering, "Are you okay? I've been talking your ear off and all I'm getting is 'cool's' and 'okay's'."

You shrug, "I don't know what you want me to say."

Ali examines you with a hint of suspicion, her face then turning surprised when she suddenly realizes. "Is this because of me and Daniel? Do you like him? It's okay if you do— I only went there because you told me to!"

"What? No— no, no, no! You have the wrong idea," you convince yourself more than you were convincing Ali, "I don't like Daniel! He's—"

Commotion pushes you to pause your words whilst you and Ali both freeze to see what is going on.

You witness Daniel tackle Bobby straight onto the floor, punching him right in the face. You scrunch your face at the contact, knowing yourself that that had to hurt.

The coach pulls Daniel off the boy, a guy even joining in to hold Daniel back. The coach yells, "There's no place on the team for that kind of crap!"

"What? He hooked me!" Daniel screams in defense. The coach wasn't hearing any of it, yelling back at Daniel before pushing him to not come any closer.

The frustration on Daniel's face was indescribable. "This school sucks, man! It sucks!" He clenched his fists as he stormed off. You travel your eyes to meet Johnny snickering. You don't need to know anything else to know he was in this.

Ali leans close to your ear. "I think you should check on your boyfriend."

You glare at her before sighing. "He's not my boyfriend," you deny. You bite the inside of your tongue, still keeping your eye on Daniel.  Should you do something?