Eight: ☽ Gwen stops drops and rolls ☾ [UNEDITED]

WOOHOO, I REALLY LIKE UPDATING A LOT SO ENJOY!

~

Eight: Gwen stops, drops, and rolls

~

Marissa looked both ways before pressing on the gas again. She was a terrible driver, I decided. Not only had she almost ran over 3 old ladies in the past 10 minutes, but she also ran a stop sign once. Each time stepping on the brake like it was going to kill her. 

We were getting closer and closer to New York, only a few miles away now. 

I leaned closer in my seat to look out at the wind shield: the Brooklyn Bridge was in view now, and I could feel the car moving up slightly. Technically we were in New York. 

I felt like smacking myself for not driving in the first place.

I looked over at Gwen; her eyes were freshly wet, looking out the window. She hugged the stuffed duck that she managed to bring. She was 12, but clearly not over that phase in her life. Her knees were brought up to her stomach, her shoes on the padded seats of our tacky car. 

The sky above us, from what I could tell, was gray. The clouds were merging together, the first sign of a storm coming. Little rain drops came and go, making the windshield splotchy. 

"How is my driving?" Marissa asked, sounding probably the most cheerful she's been since we had arrived at camp. 

I looked at Gwen, but she was still staring avidly at the window.

Marissa looked at me in the mirror, a smile spread across her face. We were half way up the bridge now, and she was clearly not going to slow down.

She passed everyone, going at least 40 mph faster than anyone else.

"What are we going to do after this?" I asked Marissa, putting my hands on her seat. 

She passed another driver before answering, switching lanes. "Most likely find something to eat," she replied, a crease in her brow. She merged into the exiting lane, just like most everyone else. Marissa slammed on the gas pedal, turning left. We were officially in the 'city'.

The large buildings tower over everything. It was a concrete jungle, with sidewalks, buildings and pavement. Cars piled up, us along with it. You could barely go 5 mph before stopping again.

I felt Gwen moved in her seat and saw her stuffing her stuffed duck back into her pack, suddenly becoming small again. Her tears were gone, replaced with a smile. She zipped up her backpack and looked at Marissa and I.

Marissa took an abrupt turn, and before I knew it she was parallel parking 30 ft away from Times Square. If her parking was as bad as her driving, I just hoped we got out alive.

I didn't understand why any cops didn't pulled her over. 

I was snapped out of my thoughts as Marissa, accidentally, slammed into the car in front of us. I felt myself going forward, my face smacking into Marissa's seat. I rubbed my face before sitting back. I noticed Gwen did the same as me.

 It was anything huge, just her denting their car. She looked at Gwen and I, giving us a nervous smile before turning off the car and unbuckling. She opened her door and looked back and forth, looking for any cars coming before she got out. Her backpack was on her shoulders.

Gwen followed Marissa, and I came out last.

All three of us surveyed the damaged. 

Not only did she wreck this person's range rover, but she also left a huge dent in ours.