Part 7: New Year's

(Anything in bold is an A/N)

Winter's POV

Our 2-week break was halfway over. (one week in December and one week in January). Tomorrow would be New Year's Day, and the dragonets would be taking up to watch the fireworks (those might not exist, but they do here). Qibli and I headed to the prey center because our cave was getting too quiet. I was surprised to see everyone who stayed for our break in the prey center. There weren't many dragons, but we still heard everyone talking about the fireworks.

"I'm not hungry, but you can get something if you want," I said

"Alright," he answered promptly. His eyes followed a lizard on the floor and he snatched it up.

"Is that all you're going to eat?" I asked

"Yep. SandWings don't eat much anyway."

"Okay then"

We had ended up sitting in silence, both of us not knowing what to say

"Want to go to the art cave?" Qibli suggested

"Sure, since we have nothing to do anyway"

We started to walk over to the art cave. The halls were vast and brightly lit by the hanging glass globes. The announcement boards were black, aside from the words "WINTER BREAK" on them. We hadn't said a word to each other and continued to walk down the hallway. Up ahead, there was a cave that was brightly lit, that was the art cave. We turned to the right and entered the room. I was always fascinated by the amount of supplies in there and I had visited often.

"What do you want to do?" I asked. "We could sculpt, paint, do watercolors, draw, and probably a lot more."

"Let's paint!" he grinned

"Okay, Mr. Sunshine," I said rolling my eyes but smiling. We picked out a canvas and debated on what would paint.

"Let's paint a scene from back at our homes!" he suggested, "And then we can exchange our pictures."

"Good idea," I said in approval. We went over to the tables set with the supplies can picked out our materials. I took a palette, brush, and various shades of white, grey, and blue paint. Meanwhile, Qibli picked out a few desert-like colors, a brush, and a palette as well.

"Are you any good a painting?" I inquired. "Nope!" he sang.

"I figured," I said, still focusing on my painting, I decided to start with a simple sketch, and I would be keeping it that way. The more details, the longer it would take. I had considered painting a scene of a glittering frozen lake but went for the Ice Palace. The two of us sat across from each other, so I couldn't see what he was painting. Although I could already tell it was going to be a mess. But I focused on my painting instead. I had finished my simple sketch and was starting to choose the colors for the palace walls. I started with a light blue and slowly made my way to the shadowy parts, where I would use a darker shade of blue. I had pictured a beautiful scene of the Ice Palace, though my paintings never turn out how I want them to.

Qibli looked very concentrated, with a hint of determination. I wouldn't admit it out loud, but in this lighting and time of the day, he did look stunning. The light from the globs reflected off his sandy-yellow scales, making them look almost golden like Sunny's was. His scar was more visible, but it didn't affect anything. And what I liked most about Qibli's features was his freckles, like splatters of brown paint. I then shifted my attention to my project, I still had a lot to do.

Time skip

At least an hour had passed and I was nearly finished. I just needed to add some highlights and it would be done. You'd think after an hour, the painting would be somewhat detailed, but it was pretty simple. I added little white dots by hitting the brush lightly on another, to splatter the paint on the canvas.