14 | Story

Tw: Death

Komaeda began to tell the story. "Uhm, I used to have very sweet, loving parents. They loved each other a lot. My father practically worshipped my mother, haha. He felt like she was a godess. But... one day, she went out late at night. I was maybe four or five. There were these drunk men and... Her body was found the next day. Daddy never told me any details about what happened,"

Hinata's eyes widened and he put a hand on Komaeda's shoulder. "That's horrible. I'm so sorry, Komaeda,"

"...I've always been wary around other men since then. I rarely find the courage in myself to trust them." He looked at Hinata. "And I hate going out when it's already dark. I don't ever drink or do any drugs either. I won't stoop to the level of the people who caused the death of my mother... U-uhm, anyway. My daddy got very depressed. He was super sweet to me though. He was very protective of everyone after what happened to mommy," he explained.

The brunet stared intently as he listened to him.

"I got a bit older. I was around six then and Christmas rolled around. Even though I promised myself to never drink, daddy didn't. He drank a lot. On Christmas, I got so many presents." He chuckled, smiling slightly. "I was so, so happy. Daddy hat spent pretty much all of his money on toys, sweets and stickers. All for me. All because he loved me so much, is what I thought. I mean, he did love me, but it was quite irresponsible to spend all his money like that. Daddy drank a lot that Christmas while I played. He passed out. I thought he was just asleep, but then I noticed something on his mouth," he said. "It was vomit... I got worried and called out to him, but he didn't respond. I shook him and he fell over. He was so cold, like a statue. I called an ambulance and they came, but it was already too late," he explained. "He had choked on his vomit after passing out due to being so drunk. I barely inherited anything due to him spending all the money, that's why I hardly get by nowadays,"

Hinata rubbed his back.

"I never told anyone about this. I never had anyone to tell. I-I miss them a lot. I-I never got to have a normal childhood. I was always... different,"

Hinata wrapped his arms around Komaeda.

"What are you doing?" Komaeda asked.

"It's gonna be okay,"

"No, it won't. They're dead. Nothing can bring them ba-aAh!! Hinata-kun, let go!! You're hurting me!" Komaeda yelped as Hinata hugged him with all his might.

"I know words could never express the sorrow you must feel, but... maybe this can make up for the hugs you never got from them,"

"What??" Komaeda frowned.

"Sorry, I'm not very good at comforting. I'm not an emotional guy, but I'm trying my best." He let go of him, petting his shoulders one last time. "You're really unlucky,"

"Really? I never noticed,"

"But I want you to know that you can always talk to me if you ever need anything. I'm here for you. If you have a problem, just give me a call and I'll be right there by your side," He promised, smiling at Komaeda.

The pale man felt his eyes water. He looked away, not wanting to show it. No one had ever been there for him. He had no one at all. Hinata went back to the kids who showed him their new plushies.

Suddenly, Hinata's phone rang. He picked up. "Hello?"

"I-I've got a problem," Komaeda said from the other end. "I-I need another hug,"

Hinata turned around and walked back to him, giving him a reassuring smile before wrapping his arms around him again.