20 | Past

"It really did seem like everything was always going to be horrible. At school, I got made fun of for my weird hair and because I didn't really have a lot of money," he explained.
"It got so bad that, when I got home, I cried and asked Yukizome-san to straighten my hair before school each day. At first, she refused and told me not to change myself for others. But then she caught me trying to cut it all off and agreed to straighten it," He said.
"Then they told me my hair was too long and said I was a girl now. I asked Yukziome-san to cut it, but she refused again and from then on refused to straighten it too. 'They'll make fuh of your regardless of your hair. I think it makes you unique, but even if you looked like everyone else, they'd still make fun of you. That's just how these kind of people are and, I know it's not nice, but it's going to get better eventually.' Those were her words. I wrote it down in my diary and memorized it to cheer myself up when I got sad,"

Hinata looked at him, concerned. Poor Komaeda... He didn't deserve that kind of treatment. No one did.

"When I was a teenager, the bullying in the orphanage got worse. I felt horrible. And the worst part was..." He looked at Hinata. "Everyone was getting adopted but me. N-no one wanted me. No one cared about me." He pulled his knees to his chest. "And still, nobody wants me. No one cares about me. I was all alone. New kids got to the orphanage and people adopted them. I don't know why. I thought you couldn't choose which child to adopt, but Yukizome-san said that the parents always chose the other kids. I cried about it a lot and she always comforted me,"

"You're right, that is weird. Parents can't pick and choose what kinda child they want,"

"B-but then... why did no one adopt me? I-I just wanted to be loved,"

Hinata wrapped his arms around him. "You are loved. You don't need parents to be worth something, okay?"

"You don't get it... You could never understand what it feels like to be left all alone as a child," Komaeda said. "When you don't have parents, everything is always about them. I tried so hard to get any adult to like me. I-I wanted parents more than anything else in the world. I couldn't stop thinking about finally getting adopted, but it never happened. On my 18th birthday, I cried my eyes out. I was a legal adult and no one had chosen me. Ever,"

-

A young Komaeda went out on a walk with his plushy puppy. He did this a lot, trying to find adults who would adopt him. He went into the park and saw a couple on a date, sitting on a bench.

He sat down next to them, hugging the puppy. The small boy looked at the woman and waved shyly. She smiled at him.

"Are you allowed to go out on your own, sweetie?" She asked, worried.

"Mhm! I'm already this old!" He held up six fingers.

The woman chuckled. "You're so cute,"

"Where are your parents?" The man asked him.

Komaeda frowned. "Mommy and daddy are in heaven,"

They both gasped. "That's... horrible. I'm so sorry. Are you in an orphanage?"

"Mhm. But no one wants to adopt me... I'm so lonely..." he looked up at them with big, pleading eyes.

The man got up. "Someone's gonna adopt you one day for sure. You seem like a sweet kid." He pat his head.

"You won't?" He asked.

"We're way too young for children," the woman said. "We're only 18,"

Komaeda pouted as they left. "N-no one likes me..."