16 | Childhood

Tw: Bullying

"Yukizome-san?" A young Komaeda asked nervously.

"Yes, sweetheart?"

"Can I have this for my birthday?" He asked, showing a toy store magazine where he had circled a toy puppy.

"Of course, that's a great gift. I'll get it for you, okay?"

The end of April came and Komaeda unpacked his gift. He smiled brightly when he got to finally cuddle with the adorable puppy plushy.

"Thank you so much, Yukizome-san!! I always wanted a puppy like this!" Tears of joy ran down his cheeks.

"Oh, you're welcome. Happy birthday, Komaeda-kun. You really deserve this gift. Anyway, who wants cake?" She asked the group. They all cheered and grabbed plates.

Later that day, Komaeda played in the garden with his toy puppy when a few other kids approached him, holding a big pair of scissors.

"Hey, Komaeda-kun!" A girl said. "That puppy is so cute, what's it called?"

"Her name is Yuki-chan! Like Yukizome-san, you know? She's so adorable! She's my best friend in the whole world,"

"That's not a real dog, you dumb idiot." A boy said and grabbed the puppy.

"N-no, give her back!" Komaeda whined, getting up.

"Shut up, you baby! This dog's not real and it's not your best friend!" He grabbed the scissors from the girl and cut off the toy's ears.

"No!!!" Komaeda screamed loudly.

"Shut up!" The boy yelled.

Komaeda immediately began sobbing. "Stop it, you're hurting her!! Ple-please stop!!"

He cut off the toy's head.

Little Komaeda fell to his knees, crying. "No no no!!!!" He cried. "Y-you killed her!! Mommy and daddy are already dead, why did you do that?! I'm so lonely!" He cried.

The boy flicked his forehead. "Your mommy and daddy died because of you anyway,"

"Wh-what..? No, they didn't!"

"Yes, they did! And Yuki's dead because of you too!" He yelled and then threw the cut up toy at Komaeda's head before running away with his friends.

Komaeda hugged the head of the plushy and cried his little heart out. "Yuki-chan!!" He sobbed. "Wh-why?! It's not fair, she didn't deserve this!!" As he held the parts of the plushy in his hands, memories of his parent's deaths came flooding back. His breathing got faster and his whole body began to shake.

"Mommy!!" He shouted. "Daddy!! Don't leave me!!" He held the plushy tightly as he sobbed, breathing way too fast.

Yukizome found him there, laying on the grass. She picked him up and carried him inside. "Sweetheart," she said calmly. "Sweetie. Breathe with me, okay? Everything's fine." She took a deep breath, as he held her finger in his small fist.

He slowly calmed down and then hugged her as tight as he could. "Th-they killed Yuki-chan... I-I dunno why they cut her up... sh-she was my best friend!!" He cried.

"Who did?"

"Hiroto-kun,"

Yukizome stood up, teeth gritted. She pat Komaeda's head and told him it would be okay before entering Hiroto's room.

"Hiroto." She hissed. "You cut up Komaeda-kun's birthday present,"

"He was acting like a baby!"

"Komaeda-kun lost his parents not even half a year ago!" She shouted. "He wanted a puppy because it reminded him of the one he used to have when he was two years old that died!" She went on. "He's a scared little child that cries himself to sleep every single night, begging his parents to come back to him! Don't you dare try to mess with him ever again!"

After that, she slammed the door shut and sewed Yuki together again. Komaeda went to bed, hugging the puppy tightly, crying and praying that his parents would come back.