Chapter 5: Memories

I stood there for a minute or two, when Mina literally dragged me to my seat. She gave me a soft slap and called my name. Again. I was not responding.

"Lauren are you okay?" she said.

I blinked and nodded.

"Oh my god! I know. I saw it too. Relax and stay calm."She entwined our fingers.

At that moment I was not feeling relaxed or calm. I wanted to throw up my breakfast. A tear escaped from my eyes. Mrs Logging was late for class- thank God. Mina quickly swept it away.

"Don't cry for him okay? You don't want him to think that you care. I know it's hard but try to be calm. Play it cool. Think of something else."

"I can't Mina. What can I think of, when my crush is kissing another girl?" I said trying hard not to cry.

"Sing a song with me." Seriously ? I looked at her.

"Talkin loud talkin crazy." I recognized Emily Sante's song What I did for love.
I whispered-sang with her.
When the song ended I smiled at her."Thanks. You're the best friend I ever had."

"And you are the best friend I never had." I laughed with that. I had already forgotten a bit why I was crying.

When the first period ended I came up with a very good idea.

"Wanna skip school?" I said to Mina wearing the puppy eyes.

"No way. My mom is still angry because I stayed a little more in your house. She'll kill me if she learns."

"Damn you. I am going to ask Scott. But come with me please. I don't want to be alone if I bump into the asshole." She nodded. Fortunately, on our way to Scott we didn't bump into him. But wait a minute.

"Did you recognise the girl he was kissing?" I asked Mina, while we were waiting for Scott to come out the boys toilets.

"I... I did. I think it's Allison." she whispered.

"What? I am going to kill that bitch. Why did this asshole kiss-" Scott came out the toilets.

"Who kisses who?" he asked.

"We were talking about -"

"Pretty little liars. Why did Jonny kiss Spencer." I cut Mina off.

"Yeah. I think he appeals to her in a mysterious way, but Toby is better." she said.

"And hotter." I muttered and grinned at Scott who was staring at me.

"I m gonna leave now see you around. " she said.

" Bye gorgeous ." I yelled, while Scott side hugged me.

"Do you want to skip school with me? "I asked him.

"Sure lets go." he said and we left school .

I sat next to him inside his car.His black Ford looked luxurious both inside and outside. It smelled mint and – Wait! Bubblegum?

I smiled and caught his attention.

"What?" he said looking at me and then the road.

"It smells bubblegum in here. It reminds me of our childhood."

"I know. Every time I take my car for washing they leave this scent and it's just so nostalgic."

"So where are we going?"

"Surprise can't tell you." He said smiling like a Cheshire cat.

"Oh my God! Is it something naughty? Your smile is sending out something like that. But if there is food its fine."

"You haven't changed at all, have you?"

Yes a bit. I found an upcoming boyfriend, who kissed my thought so friend. I also started hanging out with Mina and turns out she is the best friend I ever had. And all that when you were missing. Two days. But turns out that some people might be your friends even if you don't know them that well. And that you can be disappointed by people who used to be your friends and people that you want to be friends with. To be true I suddenly remembered-

"What are you thinking?" he said with a serious look on his face.

"Can we go to the cemetery? I haven't visit him for so long." I said

"Sure. If that's what you want okay."

"That's what I want." I murmured.

After I stepped out of the car. My body shaking and my eyes ready to get my face wet. Being here feels weird. I haven't been here since his funeral.

"Hey. Are you okay? You are shaking. Are you cold?"

"No it's okay. I'll be fine. Just give me a moment." I said taking my moment breathing like my mom taught me to under bad and depressing circumstances. In and out.

"Okay let's go." I grabbed his hand so tight and my body started warming up.

We found his grave.

Chris Prew 1997-2013

His picture came to my mind. That night. When everything ended.