The finale

A week ago

The calendar on the wall in the lab marked the 2.6.2021, which meant that it was only one week until Gozer's return. Not to mention it meant that over thirteen years ago Jonathan got the Ghostbusters back together.

Suddenly the earth shook, stronger than ever before. Four people noticed it, the rest of Summerville was either asleep or just ignored the earthquakes at this point. The first one to notice that the earthquakes had gotten stronger was a teacher at Summerville Middle school named Gary Grooberson. Although being a P.E teacher his interest for science and seismology was bigger than his interest in sports and he had only come to Sumerville because of the earthquakes.

So when his seismometer registered more seismic activity than usual he found it really weird and concerning. Looking at the clock on his desk he saw that it was nearly midnight. Up until now he had been studying Summerville's maps, unable to find anything useful. He had been studying Summerville's earthquakes for nearly ten years now and he still didn't know how those earthquakes were even possible. The only good thing that happened because he was studying earthquakes was how he first met one of his colleagues when he first started working at Summerville Middle school....

Gary finished putting down all his equipment in the classroom and made his way back to the principal's office where the principal and another man talked about something. The man talking with the principal was tall, Gary estimated him to be 6 '1 (184 cm), he had brown hair, wore silver and round glasses, he also wore a navy blue suit with a white shirt and red tie. The man couldn't be much older than Gary, maybe even younger. Both men noticed him standing in the doorway. The principal smiled widely, exclaiming:
-Perfect! Your back.
The other man though had his piercing dark brown eyes fixed on Gary, his face expressionless. Gary thought that was both as weird as it was intimidating and decided not to say anything about that, but instead said:
-I am! I've put all my things in my classroom for now.
-Wonderful, the principal said. Pointing at the other man he continued:
-This is Dr.Jonathan Spengler. He's one of your colleagues and he agreed to give you a tour of Summerville!

At the mention of the name „Spengler" Gary frowned, something telling him that he had heard that name somewhere else.
-And this is Gary Grooberson, he'll teach P.E at our school.

Dr.Spengler stepped forward, offering his hand to Gary and saying:
-Welcome, Mr Grooberson. It is a pleasure to meet you.
Gary, a bit startled by Dr.Spengler's seriousness shook his hand and replied:
-Thank you. But call me Gary, we'll be colleagues after all.
Dr. Spengler nodded.
-Of course, but if I'm allowed to call you Gary, then I hope you consider calling me Jonathan.
Gary smiled politely and Jonathan motioned him to follow him outside.

About half way through the tour, Gary asked Jonathan to stop for a moment, and he did, looking at Gary questioningly.
-There was something I wanted to ask you.
-Of course go ahead.
-Who is this dirt farmer guy, this whole town's been warning me off? They say he's crazy but...
He stopped talking as soon as he saw Jonathan's face. The man's face had an expression so hostile, Gary was sure that he'll be punched in the face.
-I-I'm sorry I didn't want to sound offensive at all, I think it's a horrible thing to say and I'm sure whoever he is, he's definitely not crazy!, he said quickly, trying not to get punched in the face.

Jonathan's facial expressions softened slightly and he sighed.
-The man the people of this town call dirt farmer is my father and he's definitely not crazy. This town is probably the worst I've ever seen and I was born in New York.
-Ohhh, man. This city shouldn't treat anyone that bad. Anyway, why did you move to Summerville?
No answer came from Jonathan, and since he didn't want to hurt the man's privacy, Gary left it at that.

Later they had finished the tour and were standing in front of the school. It had already gotten dark.
-Are you interested in earthquakes?, asked Gary curiously.
Jonathan stared at him, not knowing what to think of that question.
-Why?, he therefore answered.
-Well, I came to this town to investigate the earthquakes. I'm a seismologist.
-Really, I would have thought you were a football coach, said Jonathan, although something in his tone made Gary flinch slightly.