Chapter 16

Lexa glanced from her spot on the couch at the silent Jedi. "Do you two always argue so loudly?" She questioned, glancing between the two of them.

Both Obi-Wan and Anakin seemed to have forgotten that she was still sitting there with them. "You felt that?" Anakin questioned in surprise.

"No, I'm just familiar with Obi-Wan's annoyed expression." Lexa replied, a smile playing on her lips.

Obi-Wan rolled his eyes at her. "You would be. We should check the security—"

"Already done." Lexa said, narrowing her gaze. "Her room is perfectly shielded from any sniper positions. The only way that something is getting in tonight's through the front door or through the window. And considering that it's highly fibered, I doubt an assailant would be so bold as to jump through the window."

Obi-Wan blinked. "You've been busy."

"I had a good hour on the two of you. What can I say?" Lexa said. "Still, you're right. We can check the security cameras."

Giving a nod, Obi-Wan headed towards the stairs. "I'll check with Captain Typho. I'll be back."

Anakin could scarcely breath once Obi-Wan was out of sight, gaze falling on Lexa. She was taller—but not by much. What was true, however, was that she was beautiful in every sense of the word.

Her hair was twisted in a bun atop her head and she seemed much more at peace than the last time he had seen her.

"You think loudly." Lexa said, nudging him.

"What?" Anakin was startled by her sudden closeness.

"I think we're a lot alike that way." Lexa said. "Come on, I don't bite. Where's my usual Anakin hug?" She questioned.

His cheeks burned but he didn't argue with her. Her embrace always felt like home to him—there was just no other way to describe it. He towered over her and she exhaled, releasing him from the hug.

"You've been busy. Did you even stop at the Temple before coming here?" Lexa questioned, continuing her survey of the room.

"Just for a few moments. I prefer it when we're busy though." Anakin murmured, finally taking off his outer robe.

"I do as well. Though, I have to admit, working with the Younglings has been rather fun lately."

Anakin grinned. "You would find that fun."

"How do you mean?"

"You're good with the children. You were always nice to me."

"You make it hard not to be," Lexa pointed out.

Before he could ask any further questions, Obi-Wan returned, also discarding his outer robe as he walked in. "Captain Typho has more than enough men downstairs. No assassin would try that way. Any activity up here?"

"Quiet as a tomb." Anakin replied.

Obi-Wan's gaze drifted to Lexa. "Now what did you do?"

She looked startled. "Whatever do you mean?"

"I know you did something. The Council failed to mention your appearance here." Obi-Wan said pointedly.

"But you're on the Council." Lexa deadpanned. "Didn't they share how I've angered them this time?"

"No. Believe it or not, our meetings don't revolve around your mistakes."

"Shocking." Lexa said dryly. She took a seat on the couch, a frown on her face. "I had a vision."