Chapter 28

A/N: the angst that is coming...no one will survive it. Anyways, I hope you enjoy this update! As always, let me know what you think!

Lexicla found herself surprised by the passage of time. Now almost five months into the war efforts, she was stretched thin. Pulled in every direction, by Senators, by Generals, by the Jedi—all who wanted insights into the war.

It was exhausting, attempting to assure everyone that she would help the moment she could. Although, at the moment, Lexa was rather glad to be pulled in a new direction.

Standing aboard Padme Amidala's personal ship, the Jedi General tapped her fingers on her silver bracers. "We're nearly there. Stop pacing," she advised.

"Easy for you to say. This isn't Naboo's first time with droids being there unwanted," Padme said, eyes flicking to the front of the ship.

Queen Jamiliia had asked for the both of them to specifically come and investigate the matter. And considering that the Chancellor himself was from Naboo, it was no surprise when Lexa found herself pulled from the ranks of the front.

Her men couldn't complain either—Senator Amidala was a wonderful host and they had never been to Naboo. Only heard things about it from General Verace, who at this point, they took her word quite seriously and literally.

Landing came quickly, with Padme practically bounding off of the ship. Lexa followed suit, eyes wide at the sight of Queen Jamilia personally meeting them. "We came as soon as we could, My Lady. Have you found any more droids?"

"Only the three. But you can be sure that they aren't tourists. I see you've brought Jedi Master Verace—she will be a great help in convincing the Jedi Council that we are threatened." Jamilia's tone dripped with emotion for the first time since Lexa had met the woman.

"Rest assured, My Lady, I will do my best to put an end to the threat to Nabooo." Lexa bowed her head in respect.

The Queen's features seemed to soften ever so slightly. "You have always been a friend to Naboo."

"And I intend to be one till the end of my days. But a few battle droids won't be enough. I only managed to sneak away to help because I may...have alluded to there being more danger than I actually sensed." Lexa admitted.

Padme couldn't help the slight grin on her face. It was clear to her that come hell or highwater, Lexicla Verace would do whatever was needed to help her. There was a sort of bond that went beyond friendship—like a meeting of soulmates, if you would.

"Is the battle droid ready for analysis?" Lexa questioned. "We may have more questions or answers after we take a look at it."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Trekking through the hot forest and going towards the muddy inlands, Padme couldn't help but feel a slight sense of guilt. With Hyperion Squadron trekking ahead and keeping watch for trouble, she should have felt at ease.

Lexa, through the sweat and heat of the day, glanced sideways. In these thick suits for dangerous materials, it was hard to even see Padme's face. But that didn't mean that she couldn't feel what her friend was feeling.

"Alright, what gives?"

"Pardon?"

"You're awfully quiet and feeling guilty. So what did you do?" Lexa demanded, stepping carefully over a branch.

"Well it's me," Padme admitted somewhat quietly. "I keep dragging you into messes."

Lexa gave a short laugh. "Something tells me that so long as we are friends, danger will be a certain part of that."