Chapter 15: Sneaking

Izuku glanced at the number that was displayed for everyone to see. He had passed by this door few times before, but now he would have to come to this room.

He opened the door, not wasting a single moment. The room had an adult, silently reading a book as if she was waiting for him.

Izuku was used of staying quiet, but with the first step he took, her eyes lifted from the book and stared directly at him.

"Welcome Glitch," she smirked, placing a bookmaker in the book and tossing it against the wall.

"Thank you for allowing me to have this opportunity early," he bowed out of respect.

Her eyes followed Izuku with each movement he would make.

"You may call me Qi," she spoke to him. "I'm sure you've figured out what assignment this is."

Izuku nodded, giving her the answer she wanted.

"We assassins keep our name silent to most. We aren't the 'heroes' in the spotlight. We move in the darkness of the world, doing the things that normal heroes can't do. We kill, they don't, well they do but it's a last resort," she explained to him.

Izuku listened to every word she spoke. Her voice was soothing and enchanting in a way. It was as if she was used of luring people to the doom.

"My quirk allows me to draw out the targets into dark areas. My knife and dagger skills are what makes my kills happen."

"I'm sure you've read the file about my quirk and the part that no one has tested," Izuku spoke up

"I have. We are going to be testing it in due time. However, the first part of our job is moving in silence. I could hear your breath from outside the door. Before I train you the brutal things, you must sneak up on me and touch my arm or shoulder without me hearing you."

"Permission to ask a question?"

"I will not instruct you most of the time during this drill. You will have to figure it out on your own. Don't worry, I'll throw in some pointers here and there. There is also no time limit. Did I answer the question you had?"

"Yes ma'am."

"Good. Let's begin."

—-

Izuku was getting annoyed. For 2 hours straight he could only take a single step before Qi would be able to pick on his movement.

He couldn't understand how and when she would give him small pointers, they wouldn't really help.

"Damn it!" He screamed out in frustration after she called him out on hearing his steps.

"Whats wrong Glitch? Are you having trouble?" She was slightly amused by his failure.

"I don't get it. I get that you can hear breathing and that I will work on, just the steps. I don't understand how I can walk without a step being heard," he admitted.

Qi amusement turned into understanding. "You just put what I wanted you to know into words."

"I'm sorry," he spoke confused, not wanting to seem like he was asking a question.

"You know you can hear breath. Your ears are trained to listen for that. Your walking, your movements, it's not something you can learn in a day. You are becoming aware of that. Special assignments are meant to build you up overtime and not just overnight. I will push you to your limits and make you think more than you could ever know. This assignment makes you use all your senses."

Izuku studied her words, realizing the meaning of the task at hand. It wasn't to sneak up on her, it was to understand that he was going to fail at first. Failing was a part of growing. It was better to fail when it didn't matter.