A New Beginning: Harry

DISCLAIMER: I DO NOT OWN ANYTHING

"Don't hit! Please!" The boy pleaded, his emerald eyes glistening with tears. The portly man, who towered over him, was breathing hard and laughing. His breath smelled like booze, and the poor child could hardly breathe.

Arabella Figg was on her evening walk. She walked every day near the house on Privet Drive, to check on the charge which Albus Dumbledore had given her. She shuddered as she heard a smack and small whimpers and screams. "This has gone too far," she murmured to herself angrily, and rushed home to send an owl to Dumbledore.

Professor Dumbledore sighed as he read Arabella's angry letter. "I agree," he murmured. "Something must be done." He turned to the Phoenix, who was perched near the door. "Fawks, my old friend, would you send them a message?" The Phoenix let out a long cry and disappeared in a flash of fire.

"Arabella sent a letter," Remus remarked to Sirius, who spit out the butterbeer he was drinking and rushed to his chair.
"What did she say?" Sirius grabbed the letter out of Remus's hands and started reading. He began reading out loud.
"Dear Padfoot and Moony,
I regret to inform you about your godson's condition at the house of Mr. And Mrs. Vernon Dursley. Harry has been horribly mistreated. I have already notified Dumbledore, assuming he will take care of the matter. I sent you a letter just in case.

I suggest rescuing the poor child as soon as possible, and take revenge upon the merciless, sorry excuse for humans, disgrace of all mankind.

Arabella Figg."

Remus was pale. His face seemed as if it had aged ten years. His honey-golden eyes were extremely sad.

Sirius, on the other hand, was seething. What did Dumbledore think he was doing? Arabella had obviously sent him letters before, concerning Harry. He turned to the wall and kicked the portrait of his mother in the entry. The screams began.
"FILTHY BLOODTRAITORS AND FILTH TARNISHING THE HOUSE OF BLACK-"
"SHUT UP!"
And the yelling stopped and the swish of curtains could be heard. Sirius walked back to the kitchen, foot aching. As he sat down again, a flash of fire appeared in the dim light. A Phoenix feather and a parchment landed on the table between the two men.

"Meet me as soon as possible. Dumbledore." Remus tossed the parchment into the fireplace.

"I hope the old coot knows what he's in for," Sirius growled.

"Well, we'd best set off now, then," Remus said, his expression concerned.

The two men appeared in the now emerald green fireplace. Dumbledore was sitting at his desk as always, though with a different composure. Instead of the wise, calm man they had been expecting, Remus and Sirius found a pale, nervous man. His hands never stopped moving. He fiddled with a glass ornament for a while before he spoke.

"I have made a grave mistake."

"Yes, you have." Sirius could not hold it in any longer. "WHAT DID YOU THINK YOU WERE DOING?" He exploded, standing up. "HARRY HAS BEEN ABUSED THIS WHOLE TIME AND YOU NEVER SAW THE NEED TO TELL US? IT WAS A GOOD THING WE GOT THAT LETTER BEFORE-"

"Sirius. Sit down. You're not helping," Remus snapped, and pulled his friend back down.

"Thank you. Arabella also sent me a letter, and now I have decided to do something about it. I know, I am four years late," Dumbledore said hurriedly as Sirius began to stand up again, "and I admit it as a mistake. But now I have a plan," he said, a sad twinkle beginning to spark in the periwinkle eyes.

"And what is this plan," Remus snapped.
"The papers are here, on my desk. You may collect the poor child as soon as you can," Dumbledore said, pushing the said papers forward.

Remus and Sirius looked at the papers, and then at each other, jaws open. Adoption papers? They were adopting James's son ?

Sirius apparated immediately, and Remus grabbed on just in time, gripping the papers tightly in his hand. They were going to get their godson.