Jessica (Part 8)

It was a very lively and interactive bus ride to the local markets, thanks to Ms.Kim. She wasn't like the other teachers; she was in her twenties (which made all the classes much more fun, as we could relate to each other to some extent), she was Korean-American (the medium of learning didn't have to be Korean at all times, but also English), and she was also like an Unnie/Noona to us, who we looked up to. In our first year, I found it weird that a lot of students had conversations about their love lives with Ms.Kim, and that sometimes she even gave them advice! A year later, I'd gotten used to this, and apart from when we were in class, me and Unnie had a lot of informal conversations, too.

...

"Want a cookie?", Min-Jae offered. We were sitting together on the 4th seat on the right row of the bus, even though I was mostly talking to Ms.Kim. 

"Sure, thanks.", I said. Things had become slightly awkward after he indirectly asked me out. I mean, I'd never thought of him as more than a friend, and maybe he didn't either. Maybe it had just sounded interestingly, surprisingly odd, but he was probably meaning for us to hang out. As friends.

"Min-Jae...did you actually wanna-", I started.

"Jessica, I know it took you by surprise, and yeah I know what you're talking about. I saw that you really wanted to go to the Namsangol Hanok Village, and that's why I suggested to take you there. Please don't get me wrong, I didn't mean to sound like I had other intentions...", he interrupted, to explain.

For a split second, I felt the slightest pang, but it was a feeling that was more of relief. Min-Jae and I were finally re-building our friendship, and now I knew that he most certainly didn't think of me as anything more than a friend.

"Okay, that's what I thought. I don't wanna lose you as a friend, you know. Can we forget about this?", I requested.

"Of course. I'm sorry for making you uncomfortable.", he apologised.

"No, I'm sorry for misunderstanding.", I said, and looked up at him. He looked back at me. We made eye contact. We both looked away.

15 minutes later, we reached the Namdaemun Market of Seoul. We all rushed out of the bus, as we could no longer stand the congested space.

"I'll go catch up with the guys, see you later!", Min-Jae said informed.

I casually nodded, and from the corner of my eye, I could see Ms.Kim looking in my direction and frowning. I decided to give her some company. 

"Unnie, is something wrong?", I asked.

"You tell me, is everything okay with you and Min-Jae?", she replied, with a question.

"Uhm, to be honest, we did have a couple of awkward moments, apart from that...we're okay.", I said, hesitantly.

"Hmm, that's good to know. In the bus, I could sense a lot of tension between the two of you. Not that I was eavesdropping, you were a bit loud.", she told me.

"Really!? Oh I hope a lot of people didn't hear us!", I said anxiously.

"Oh no, I don't think so. They were too involved in gossiping about your seniors.", she ensured.