Hae-Jun (Part 19)

I didn't regret trusting Hae-Ri, I had doubted it first, but I could feel the connection when she was singing. Maybe I did the right thing, and didn't make a rash decision. 

And about our hug...I really hoped that she didn't think I was too sudden to do that, I probably should've asked first. It broke out a little awkwardly after all, with one of Hae-Ri's friends walking in on us.

For the first time in 10 days, I managed to fall asleep for a few hours, the previous night. Sadly for me, Min-Jae woke me up before I was completely re-charged.

"Hae-Jun! Wake up you sleepyhead!", he yelled into my ear.

"Ya! Mweohae?!", I scream-whispered. Hey! What are you doing?!

"Eoh, someone's trying to reach out to you from the hospital, they've called multiple times, get up!", he exclaimed, getting annoyed.

"Eoh, ye!", I said, immediately getting up, "Yeoboseyo? Jeon Hae-Jun imnida."

"Nae, yeoboseyo. Mr.Jeon, we just needed to inform you that your mother's health has improved a lot. We can discharge her in another 2 days, as she should still be kept under observation.", she informed, lifting my spirits.

"Oh Gamsahamnida! Jinja Gamsahamnida! I'll come see her today, please keep this to yourself, I'd like to surprise her.", I grinned, practically jumping for joy. I could see Sam beaming too, he knew how much this had been troubling me, and had been a great friend.

"Nae.", the woman said, and hung up.

"Sam, she's finally alright!", I affirmed.

"That's great, hyeong!", He said with mirth.

"I gotta tell Hae-Ri!", I said, opening 'KakaoTalk'.

"Hae-Ri...you really like her, don't you?", Sam pried. 

"I don't know what you're talking about.", I ventured, avoiding the question.

"Sure, sure, as you say.", he grumbled.

...

"Hae-Jun Aa! That's such great news! Nae chingu, I'm so happy for you!", Hae-Ri squealed, when we met at the cafeteria for dinner. Despite her positive statement, the word 'Chingu' stung me like a thousand bees.

"Nae, komawo...I was thinking, would you wanna visit my mother with me, today?", I solicited.

She seemed taken aback, but answered quiet calmly, "Sure, if you'd like that."

Wow, did this sound like flirting? I certainly thought so, and couldn't help but smile. The chilly atmosphere was forgotten by her warmth, and also by our coffees which were served in astral-coloured ceramic cups. I watched her as she sweetly sipped her drink, and couldn't feel happier at that moment. It felt like something I had never felt before. Sort of like when something great happens to you, and you get that queasy feeling, but it's just of joy.

Just when we were about to head to visit Eomma, one of Hae-Ri's friends rushed towards us and jabbered, "Hae-Ri Ya, you need to come quick, Min-Jae's hurt and he's about to be sent to the hospital! Hae-Ri we need to do something please, come with me, let's go with him, this is more important than anything!"

Min-Jae? Wasn't he the one who had come into the music room at the "wrong time"?

"Jess, calm down! What's wrong? Is he okay? He's okay, right?", Hae-Ri inquired, frowning intensely. 

Just then, one of the professors  from their year rushed up to us and informed, "Min-Jae has been sent to the hospital, there's no point in joining him, as it's late already. He'll probably be back in a couple of hours, if the injury isn't too serious. Don't worry, Hakssengduel."

Jessica and Hae-Ri nodded, and the professor left.

"Oh, by the way this is Jessica, Hae-Jun. She's my best friend, and also my roomie.", Hae-Ri filled me in.

"Oops, I might've seemed really rude to barge into you both like that. Jwesonghabnida!", Jessica apologised to me.

"Don't worry about it.  Mannaseo bangaweoyo.", I said. 

"Nae, mannaseo bangaweoyo.", she replied, smirking at Hae-Ri in a friendly way, and to my surprise, Hae-Ri returned a shy smile. Now I really pondered, could there be a chance?

...

(In the taxi on way to the hospital)

"Can you pass me my water bottle, please?", Hae-Ri requested as we both sat in the leather back seat.

"Sure.", I said, giving it to her.

Before I could let go of the bottle, she grabbed it too. Her hand gripped mine, and we looked at each other for a couple of seconds, but then she let go. I saw that she turned to the shade of Sakura (Cherry blossom) and for some reason, this made me smile. Again.

...

(At the hospital)

When we walked into the tall, grey building, the unusual hospital smell wafted in. We could see multiple patients and nurses, running here and there, and it seemed like there was a lot of ruckus, unlike the previous time, when everything was uncomfortably silent.

Finally, we got to Eomma's room. There was a pearly-white door, that would lead us inside.

"What am I expected to say, Hae-Jun?", she asked me nervously.

"Just be yourself, she'll like you.", I assured.

We walked in, and she was sitting upright, staring into space. Her face lit up as soon as she saw me, and I felt reassured. 

"Nae Adeula! Nega bogoshipoyo!", she expressed, breaking into a wide smile.

"Eomma! Eomma gwenchana...I'm here now. I won't ever leave you again!", I said, hugging her.

"Nae...", she said, kissing my head in a very motherly way.

I could feel that Hae-Ri would be getting uncomfortable, and I immediately stood up.

"Eomma, this is Hae-Ri. She's a year younger than me, but we're in the same University.", I introduced. 

"Annyeonghaseyo, Ms.Jeon. Jeoneun Park Hae-Ri imnida. Eottokhae jineyo?", Hae-Ri asked, politely.

"Nae, annyeonghaseyo. You're very pretty, I see. Are you my son's girlfriend?", Eomma asked, much to our embarrassment.

"Aniya! It's not like that!", Hae-Ri laughed, and gently bowed her head. I swear I heard her muttering "yet" under her breath, which I didn't expect at all.

"I see...well, nice to meet you.", Eomma said.

...

As we were leaving, all of a sudden, Hae-Ri grabbed the back of my coat, pulled me aside, and hid behind me. A couple of moments later, she told me that she saw her friend 'Min-Jae'.

"I didn't want him to see me, sorry if I was too sudden.", she notified.