3.Ellipses

"Oh, and three brownies with ice cream for takeout," the customer added again and you mumbled the same to yourself before leaving to get her last order.

She had been so polite and with a smile on her face every time she talked and tried every single thing on the menu.

It was nice to see people smile like that. Sometimes, you look at random people's happiness and it radiates within you too.

You didn't understand why the staff were hesitant and almost a bit too cautious around her. So much that they had been swapping places to serve and now it was you.

Of course, they were careful to satisfy every customer's wants. Yet this just felt different.

But you didn't have time for more thoughts in your head as you grabbed her order from the counter.

You arrived with the paper bag a few minutes later, just when she was done packing her bag.

Another waiter had got the bill ready for her when she reached the cash counter.

She handed over her card and waited calmly before she had to enter the four digit pin.

As that was being done, she dropped some money in the small charity box set on the corner of the counter.

You handed her the paper bag and she thanked you with the same smile before walking out of the door.

All you could muster was a small tug of your lips. You tried to smile. You know you did. But it never fully reached your eyes.

"Y/n, the spoons," your co-worker shook you out of your usual trance, holding up the disposable wooden spoons from the other side of the counter.

Without speaking, you immediately grabbed them from her hand, bolting out of the door.

You didn't realize, the minute you stepped outside the door, you were about to change the path of your whole life.

-

On the outside, Shubman looked stoic, almost blank but with a tint of calm and composure.

Everything you've ever read about morally gray fictional characters, assassins, the mafia. He was truly the epitome of it.

Inside though, at the moment, he was mentally groaning for the nth time.

He had been waiting in the car for ten minutes and his sister was yet to come out of the café.

She was the older sibling, by two and a half years, as she loved to remind him.

Of course, it was his sister. And just for that, he'll wait.

But he swore if she was not going to walk out in another two minutes, he'll be going in and getting himself and Ishan brownie with ice cream. At least the wait will be worth it.

Two minutes passed and Shubman contemplated. He was a mafia boss.

He doesn't compete. He dominates.

And he was waiting while still being unsure of his chances of getting brownie with ice cream.

What was he doing anyway?

With a small roll of his eyes, Shubman opened the door to the car and stepped out, tugging at his blazer as he did.

At the same time, his sister walked out and he let out an inaudible sigh while also noticing the paper bag in her hands.

He was standing by his car on the other side of the (now that he noticed) empty road in the suburbs, so he thought he'd probably walk his sister to the car.

Until a certain someone walked out of the same door.

Shubman could hear the bell at the top of the door tingle at a distance, and it was like in those cliché romance movies his sister and Ishan loved to watch.

You weren't anything out of the ordinary. You were just you.

Yet the moment his eyes landed on you, he couldn't look away.

His feet were glued to the ground beneath him and it felt like someone had frozen him to the spot and kept him from moving.

He watched as you handed the spoons to his sister, a smile on your face, brighter than the sun.

Shubman would already say that your eyes were the most beautiful in the world, but when they looked into his, he knew there was nothing more beautiful than that.

And the world stopped.

You ever read a book where something is just going on as it should be, then suddenly it stops. There are ellipses, an omission of words, a pause, something unsaid.

His eyes never left yours. It felt like he had been waiting his whole life for this moment, and now that you were here, he didn't want to look away.

What was that?

Oh, ellipses.

It felt like someone who had been typing the story for both of you had stopped, paused for what seemed like a long time but was actually just seconds, before starting to type again.

Somewhere in the inside, Shubman knew.

Neither of your lives were going to be the same again.