50.Rewrite the stars

Shubman held the puppy in his arms after getting him from your own, his hand running over the single coat of soft, fluffy light brown fur.

Together, you both walked to the terrace attached to your bedroom.

It was already half past eight.

The evening sky had disappeared gradually, revealing the moon and stars that aligned.

The four of you spent the whole day trying the (yet again) failed plum cake, playing with the newest family member and discussing names.

On the table that was in front of the couch, you noticed similar looking velvet boxes, and your favorite chocolates used beside them as decoration.

"Am I supposed to choose?" You turned your head to look at Shubman.

"You could choose one for each day," he replied, wrapping an arm around your waist, the other one still holding the puppy carefully.

You didn't say anything for a few seconds.

"Shut up," you said, your tone low as you realized.

All he did was smile and peck your temple as you stared at him.

"This much jewelry, seriously?" You asked as he rested the side of his head against yours. "You're such a spendthrift."

Shubman spent money like he used oxygen.

Whether it be for his profession or his family. It was to go by the money he dealt with in millions everyday.

The shipping containers filled with dollar bills, rare diamonds and artifacts, the money that came through his businesses everyday.

"You're spoiling me," you said, turning so that you were fully facing him. "-way too much."

"As per plan," he smiled. And could you ever resist that. "I have something else for you."

"Again?" You asked as he let the puppy down to explore the terrace.

Shubman then wrapped his arms around your waist, pulling you closer so that your arms were around his neck.

The smile was still there on his face as he kissed your forehead. "October 16," he said, looking into your eyes.

"World food day," you recalled immediately.

"Yeah, but it's also something more important," he said again. "Do you remember Shreyas Iyer?"

"Heard about him from where I grew up," you shrugged. "Also, we saw him when you took me to that event."

The back of his hand ghosted your cheek as you spoke, making goosebumps slightly raise on your skin.

"Since it was his territory, I asked him for a favor," Shubman's hand moved away from your face, back to holding your waist. "There used to be an old lady living near your house in Haldia. She moved away when you were five years old."

You really didn't know where he was going with this.

"It was the day she got admitted to the hospital," he added. "Joint replacement surgery. She still has the documents about it and the exact date."

You vaguely remember something from your childhood. Someone in their late sixties and also not someone you think you'd ever talked to.

"She got to the hospital in the evening," Shubman continued. "She said she heard it after that morning for the first time. Your mother was alone at home but then she heard a sharp cry."

You tilted your head a little, wanting to say something until you realized you had nothing to say.

"A baby's," he added. "She's completely sure that it was the day."