Chapter 2

MONTY

“When you asked me to help you move, I thought I was moving you from a bachelor pad into another one. What the fuck is up with all these boxes, Monty?”

I grinned at my old friend from basic training, “I’m not sure what kind of home you’ve been living in, Des, but usually adults actually have shit in their houses. Don’t tell me you’re still sleeping with your mattress on the floor and using old boxes for nightstands.”

“I’ll have you know, I had the full get up before, all the furniture that you could imagine. It just so happened that Lisa really liked all the shit we had and took it with her when she left.”

“Well, I don’t have an ex-wife to take all my shit, so when I packed up one house to move it to another, I had to bring it all with me. Just be happy I’m moving now instead of the summer.”

“Fuck, Monty, if you called me in July and asked for my help, I’d tell you to screw off and then block your number. No amount of beer will ever be repayment for moving in the 120-degree Arizona summers.”

“That’s what I thought, so let’s get this shit finished before dinner and I’ll add a pizza to the beer deal.”

Finding myself back in my home state wasn’t something I thought I’d be even just six months ago, but sometimes things happen fast. Since retiring from the military, I’ve been working for a microchip plant doing security. Thanks to the new manufacturing bills that the government passed, my company relocated to sunny Arizona from Idaho. While I was more than happy to get away from the blistering winters that lasted forever, Arizona wasn’t exactly a dream location for me.

I couldn’t leave this place soon enough when I was a kid. My dad wanted me to follow in his steps and go into finance, but that sounded boring as hell and I wasn’t great with numbers. I turned eighteen in April of my senior year and signed up behind their back to join the military. Two weeks after my high school graduation I was on a bus to boot camp and rarely looked back. I meant Desmind in basic training and was lucky enough to have him by my side for most of my career. 

After working ten years in the military, I decided it was time to retire. Traveling the world has its perks, but I was ready to settle down and build a better life. Trying to start a family in your thirties is a little abnormal, but I didn’t want that when I was in the army. I saw too many comrades struggle to balance their relationships and duty to our nation. When I had that woman in my life, I wanted her to be my everything at all times. 

After clearing out the moving truck, I ordered some pizzas and hung out with Desmond for a bit longer. The cable wouldn’t be hooked up until tomorrow, but we could at least catch up a bit. He was one of the few people I kept in touch with over the years. We went through boot camp together and then did two deployments together as well. While we were never on the front lines of any battles (thank God for that) we still grew close. It was just a coincidence that he ended up in Arizona, he was still working for the army, a liaison with the Air Force base here in Arizona.

Once he left for the night, I took solace in my new bedroom. The place I was renting for now wasn’t much, just two bedrooms and two bathrooms. The only guest I figured I would have is Desmond if he was too drunk to get home some night. It would do for now. 

It was shortly after eight when my phone rang. I groaned when I saw it was my dad. I told them I was going to be moving back to the state, it was only a matter of time before I’d have to deal with their shit. Niave me hoped they’d give me more than one day before the guilt trip started.

“Hey Dad,” I answered by the end of the third ring.

“Montgomery, I was hoping to hear from you by now.”

“Sorry about that, it’s been a long day of moving, just finished a couple of hours ago.”

“You should have just hired a company, I don’t know why you insist on doing everything yourself.”

“I don’t insist on it, Dad, there was just no reason to hire movers. It was a pretty small moving truck and I had a friend here who helped for a case of beer.”

“If that was the case, you could have asked your brother to help. It would be good for the two of you to reconnect now that you’re back home.”

It took a lot of willpower to not laugh at my dad’s words Maddox and I were not going to reconnect. We were four years apart and he was much more like Mom and Dad than I ever was. Sure, growing up with money had its perks. I also had a nice savings account that I could dig into if I needed to. So far it just sat there collecting interest. Maddox wouldn’t know a hard day’s work if it bit him in the ass. The only thing he ever tried hard at was football and that ended after a two-year stint playing at a community college.

My brother and I haven’t talked in years besides the joint text we usually end up in from my mother on holidays. We’ve both said some words in the past that severely damaged that bridge between us. I’m not too sure either of us is interested in repairing the damage.

“I don’t think Maddox would be dropping by to help me with anything, Dad, and you know that too.”

“Don’t you think it is time to put that behind you all? This move is the perfect opportunity to apologize and start fresh.”

“Apologize for what, Dad? Being a grown adult and expecting him to do the same?”

My dad lets out a frustrated sigh, “He is an adult. Just because it doesn’t look like your life, doesn’t mean he is any less of one.”

“I really don’t want to start right now. With all due respect, I’m exhausted and I just want to relax and not stress out.”

“Your mom and I are just concerned there will be tension when the two of you see each other again. Now that you’re in state, she’s expecting you here for upcoming holidays. No new excuses, Montgomery.”

“I’ll keep my mouth shut for Mom’s sake, but you can’t expect us to be close after all these years. We haven’t been close since we were in elementary, Dad.”

“You’re probably right. Speaking of your mom and me, she’s planning a dinner party for some associates in a couple of weeks and we would both love if you could join us. And before you ask, Maddox isn’t going to be there. Just think about it, will you?”

I want to say no, but I can’t push off a visit for too long. At least if it’s a dinner party, there will be other people around to act as buffers. “I’m not too sure of my weekend rotation, but send me the date and I’ll check when I go in on Monday morning.”

“Sounds good, Montgomery. I’ll let you go now, talk to you soon.”

“Bye, Dad.”

After hanging up with my dad, I grab another beer from the fridge to take the edge off. I know I should try harder to make amends with my parents, but they make it so damn hard. They see my military work as beneath and don’t get me started on working security. They never seem to give Maddox shit about doing nothing with his life, but somehow I’m the problem for having a full-time job with a 401k. 

I need to destress before trying to get some sleep, so I pull out my phone and open the dating app that I’ll never admit I signed up for. There isn’t a lot to do in Idaho and a man’s got needs. I update my zip code and start scrolling through. I was almost ready to close down the app when a profile popped up that shocked me. Iris Howell. Of course, the profile doesn’t say her full name, but I’d know that face anywhere. She was my brother’s high school girlfriend. I only met her a handful of times, but she had the prettiest eyes. They were dark down with a ring of gold. 

It probably was the beer’s doing, but I clicked on her profile and looked around. Her profile was pretty funny, I remember she had a great sense of humor. I find myself clicking to see her other pictures and I’m shocked at how hot she looks. She only has one picture that shows her full body, but she’s got the perfect little body that any man would die to have. It’s dumb as fuck, but I can’t help but send her a quick message. Who knows? She may not even remember me, but I guess we’ll find out.