Bonus Chapter

MONTY

NINE MONTHS LATER

“But do you need these ones, Nia?” 

She just looked up at me with those big brown eyes that reminded me of my own and I knew whatever she said was pointless, I was going to say yes. It didn’t matter that she already had a perfectly good pair of basketball shoes at home. Her favorite player came out with a version in kid’s sizes and she just had to have them. It was the first thing she asked when I picked her up from school today, so we headed right to the sporting goods store. I don’t know how Iris did it because I could never tell our girl no.

She was still playing softball but decided to cut back from different year-round leagues so she could start playing her other favorite sport, basketball. Somehow, I even got wrangled into coaching her team. Have I mentioned that I can’t tell her no? Between school, two sports, and all her friends, Nia keeps up busy. I don’t know how Iris did this on her own. Not that she was ever truly on her own. Even though Jade is living across town, she’s just a phone call away in case we need her. Desmond moved to this side of town as soon as his lease was over, he’s been added to the growing list of adults in her life. He is actually living at Iris’s parent's place now.

Her parents were traveling more, often gone for months at a time. They upgraded to a full RV and are living their retirement dreams. Rather than sell their house, they agreed to rent it out to Desmond. It’s a pretty crazy family structure, but it works for us. At one point not too long ago I was dreading moving back home and getting too involved with my old life, but everything settled and I’m exactly where I need to be.

“I promise that I will only wear them for games, Dad. Please? Pretty please?”

There she goes, calling me Dad. That was more of a weakness than even those eyes of hers. It caught me off guard the first time she said it, I had to excuse myself and cry like a freaking baby. She still goes back and forth between Monty and Dad. Iris and I are both letting her make those types of decisions based on her comfort level. Of course, I think once her adoption is finalized she’ll probably go with Dad more than not.

“Don’t tell your mom,” I begrundengly tucked the shoes under my arm. The joke was on me, I’d tell Iris once we got home what I got suckered into again. She’d tell me I needed to learn to say no. I’d remind her that I can’t say no to her either. We’ve done this song and dance a few times.

Nia slide her hand in mind and we made our way through the store to the front registers. “Don’t forget we have to stop by the grocery store and get some crackers.” 

“Ahh yes, thanks for reminding me, Kid. I almost forgot after we made this completely unnecessary stop for shoes.”

“Excuse me?” She scoffed. “These were way more than necessary.”

“Whatever you say, Squirt.”

It was at that moment Nia froze in her steps. Her eyes were focused forward and when I followed her gaze I saw what…or should I say who…stopped her in her tracks. “He’s looking at me, Dad.”

I tucked her into my side and made a quick turn to take the long way to the registers. I was hoping my brother would just leave us alone, but before we made it through the tennis section, Maddox was calling my name. This wasn’t the first time I’d seen him since that day he tried to mess with Iris and Nia and it wasn’t fun either time. I moved Nia behind me, not that I was worried he’d do anything, but he didn’t deserve to even see her. “I’m in a hurry, Maddox.”

“I heard you got married.”

“Yeah, you’re about six months behind the time.”

“Sorry for not knowing shit you don’t share with the family.”

“The only family that really matters knew about it.”

He tucked his hands in his pockets and almost looked childlike rocking back and forth on his feet, “I’ve been meaning to call you, maybe catch up a bit.”

“What do we have to catch up on?”

“I think I get it now, Monty. All that shit you always preached about money not being everything. Mom and Dad had it wrong, I’m seeing it now.”

“If this is some sort of trick to get back in our lives, it isn’t going to work.”

“No man,” he puts his hands up, “I can’t go back in time and I know that. You’re a better husband and dad than I could have been. It’s just that I met somebody and being with her helped me put some pieces together. I don’t want to be like Mom and Dad, so I’m working on myself. I got a job, a real one with a fucking 401k and everything.”

I couldn’t remember the last time I saw so much sincerity in my brother’s eyes. I had put the idea of any future relationship with him in the past, but if he was willing to put in the work, maybe something could grow there. “We’ve got to get going, but you have my number, maybe you could use it.”

“Yeah, yeah I’d like that.” 

“Cool, we’re going to get going.” I moved away from Maddox and back to our original mission of checking out. I wasn’t going to hold my breath that he’d call, but I broke those chains so maybe he could too. The ball was in his court though, my plate was too full to carry the weight of his issues too. Maybe there could be redemption after all, but I would always put my two girls before him. Well…I guess you could say three now.