Chapter 21

MONTY

I hit the answer button as I stepped out the front door of Iris’s house. She may have encouraged me to take this call, but I respected her too damn much to have this conversation in front of her.

“Hello, Mom,” I answer in the nicest tone I can right now.

“Finally,” she scoffs. “Your father and I have been trying to get in touch with you for weeks now. I was about ready to send him to your new place and drag you over here. I don’t appreciate being ignored.”

“I understand, Mom, but I have been busy with work and my personal life. I figured if there was an emergency you would have left a voicemail or sent a text message.”

“Now that I have you on the phone, when is the soonest you can come over to the house?”

“I guess that depends on why you need me to come over. I won’t be a little sideshow for another dinner party.”

“You’re so dramatic, Montgomery. Your father and I are making changes to our trust and will and we need you to sign some papers.”

“And that’s all?”

“Yes, Montgomery, that is all. We would like to get these filed away, so do you mind making some time in your incredibly busy schedule for your dear old mom and dad?” Her question dripped with sarcasm. It was a typical play for my mom, if she didn’t get her way, she turned up the dramatics. If I pushed the topic further, she’d probably end up in tears.

I glance at the front door, already missing the exuberance behind the door, a trip to my parents wouldn’t take much time and I could go another stretch without speaking to them again. “If you have the papers available, I can swing by and sign them. I’m off work today and on your side of town.”

“Oh,” she seemed surprised that I was willing to meet so soon. “I could have them put something together for lunch.”

“No, Mom, I think it is just best if I sign the papers and leave.”

“Well, okay then, I’ll let your father know and I guess we will see you soon.”

“Yep, bye, Mom.”

I hang up the phone after her goodbye and take a few calming breaths before going back to Iris and Nia. I’m already regretting this. We were having an excellent morning and now the nagging headache that I get whenever my parents are involved has already started thropping. I rub my temples to relieve the stress and then step back into the living room. 

Iris sees right through my attempts to put on a non-stressed face. “What’s the matter?”

“Nothing, babe.” She moves across the room and wraps her arms around my waist. I squeeze her tight, kissing the top of her head. “I’m serious, Iris. I guess they just want me to sign some paperwork that has to do with their trust and will. Since I’m over here and off work today, I’m going to go check it off my to-do list.”

“Do you believe her?”

It was a great question. It was a question that I had as well. “I don’t know, babe, but I’m not a child anymore. I found my backbone and my voice. If they try any shit, I have no issue walking my fine ass out that door and back to you.”

“It is a fine ass, you know?” Her voice was just a low whisper and her hands moved down to my ass and squeezed it. 

“Oh, you’re just trying to start something now, aren’t you?” I reply in a low voice of my own.