Chapter 26

MONTY

Even after finding Nia and bringing her back home, the tension in the house was too much. When she was missing, I felt like a piece of my heart was gone. No doubt I scared the crap out of some of the people in the neighborhood running around crazy, knocking on doors, asking if they saw her. The relief I felt once Iris called was quickly diminished when I heard the two of them talking. I shouldn’t have been eavesdropping, but it happened and it killed me that she felt that way. I was ready to write Maddox off, but then he broke my Squirt’s heart and now I wanted to pummel him.

Even though Nia had a million questions, she agreed to sleep on them and we would talk about everything tomorrow. It wasn’t until Nia was safely tucked into bed and Jade excused herself to her room for the night that Iris and I could finally take in everything that happened. She collapsed beside me on the couch, and I immediately pulled her into my chest. I could feel her body shake, I hated that she was crying again.

“Tell me what to do, Iris,” I asked as I ran my fingers through her hair.

“I don’t think there is anything you can really say, Monty. The whole day is just crashing down right now, you know?”

“Yeah,” I sighed, “I get it. I’m sorry my family is a bunch of assholes.”

That got a laugh out of her, so it was a win in my book. “I’m still trying to figure out where you came from because there is no way it was from the same family as him.”

“I’m not sure I’ll ever figure that out.”

“Do you think he meant what he said about going to court and trying to get custody?” Iris looked up at me with worry in her eyes.

“Don’t let that get to you, baby girl. I think he was just saying shit to get under my skin. It isn’t even about Nia, it is about him getting back at me. Even if he tried anything, a judge would see right through it.”

“You know, all those years ago, your parents didn’t want to give me a copy of the NDA I signed, but I insisted. I know I was just a dumb eighteen-year-old in their mind, but I knew a thing or two. Maddox signed a legal document that he didn’t want to be known as the father so that we could use it too.”

“That was smart of you, sweetheart. That’s why I think he was just talking shit at the moment. Our family attorney would remind him that fighting the NDA after all these years would be almost impossible.”

“I know he’s your brother and they’re your parents, but I just want them to leave us alone to live our lives.”

“We just need to put them behind us, I think. They’ve disappointed me for as long as I can remember, this doesn’t feel different. As far as Maddox goes, I think he’s more bark than bite. If he tries shit, I’ll be here to make sure he doesn’t.”

Iris maneuvers her way onto my lap straggling me. “Reconnecting with you is one of the best things that’s ever happened to me, Montgomery.”

“Oh yeah?” I can’t help but lean forward and press my lips against her neck, just below her jawline. She moans and tilts her head back just slightly, giving me more access to her neck and collarbone area.

“Yes, Monty.”

“Hearing my name from your lips might be one of the sweetest sounds. I need you more than I need my next breath, Iris. Tell me that I can have you.”

“You already have me, Monty.”

“I’m a selfish asshole and I want you forever.”

“Forever,” she repeats. The need to have her right here is strong, but the last thing I want is to be caught by Jade or Nia. I secure one arm under her ass and hoist both of us off the couch. Iris’s legs wrap tighter around my waist and I work my way down the hallway and into her bedroom. She’s already pulling her shirt over her head before I even get the door shut. “I need you, Monty. I have to feel you, please don’t make me wait.”