Chapter 13: Dementor

"I'm back." Vaughn said, pushing open the front door, dragging a small sack behind him. "I've no idea if these'll fit you but I've got some more clothes here."

He pulled open the sack, tossing clothes out to me and Grace. "And this is for you." He said thrusting a teddy bear towards Grace. "I thought you might like it." He added slightly sheepishly.

Grace took the bear, a large smile on her face as she rushed towards Vaughn and pulled him into a hug, taking him by surprise.

"thank...you." She said.

"'Snothing, it's just a bear." He said, patting her gently on the head, as his face flushed red. "I think it's nearly Christmas." He added sitting down at the kitchen table.

"I completely forgot about Christmas." I said, grabbing a pair of jeans and a white shirt that Vaughn had grabbed for me. "I didn't think we'd been here that long."

It'd been over a week already, Fawkes still hadn't returned with Faolon's reply. The house at least was much cleaner, most of the dust had been magically whisked away.

I dipped into the nearby bathroom, changing into the new clothes that fit surprisingly well, before reentering the kitchen.

"How much longer are we going to be here?" Vaughn asked.

I sighed. "Honestly I don't know." I hoped that Faolon wasn't in any trouble, or Fawkes.

"i'm...sure it's okay." Grace piped up. She was standing by the sink staring outside through the window, her new teddy bear clutched tightly to her chest.

"I suppose so." Vaughn said, not sounding too convinced, he heaved himself out of his chair and walked off towards the bathroom. "I'm heading for a shower."

...

"Anything else?" A gruff bartender asked me.

"Yeah another pint." I muttered with a nod. I'd spent the rest of the day restlessly walking around the house until Vaughn, clearly annoyed with my pacing sent me out to the nearby town.

The bartender grunted filling a glass and placing it in front of me.

"You think they'll fall for it?" I heard someone mutter from a table nearby.

"Don't talk so loud." Another voice added.

"What? You think the muggle'll overhear us? They're too simple minded for that."

I pulled my hat low hiding my face, specifically my magical eye, and swiveled it to the back of my head.

A few feet away, sitting at a small table were two wizards, both with long black coats pulled around them.

"Well do you think they'll fall for it?" The first wizard asked again.

"Look if the Dark Lord knows Potter, and I'm sure he does, Potter'll fall right into his trap." The other replied.

They're Death Eaters!

"Not our problem anymore." I thought to Tom, taking a swig from my drink.

"So what, we're supposed to wait till they turn up and then attack them?"

"More or less."

"And if they're disguised?"

"The Dark Lord has ways to see through that. Apparently he's sent that snake he keeps with him to get them."

The other wizard laughed. "A snake? What it's just going to tell the Dark Lord that Potter showed up?"

"Look I don't know how these things work, just that they do."

We could stop them you know

"Like I said, not our problem." I muttered raising my glass to my lips.