Chapter Fifty Four

The camels charged through the spreading herd as Grimm raised his staff above his head. He turned back as they entered the rows of wool and waved his staff once more. The herd remained partially open, a small entry for BranChan, should he ever catch up with them.

The group stared in horror at the approaching scene. A castle had formed where the heart of the herd once was and a giant beast was circling it.  It circled slowly, its jaw agape and saliva dripping onto the ground. Its massive cucumber claws left deep ruts in the dirt and its hot breath caused the surrounding sheep to burst into flames.

"Is that Potato?" Lua gasped, staring in disbelief at the terrifying monster.

Meanwhile, inside the castle, Sleepy sniffed the air. Turtles  looked curiously at the weird boy and watched as Sleepy stood from his hiding place and wandered towards an open window. "What are you doing?" Turtles whispered, gesturing for him to sit back down with his eyes. "You're going to get killed!" Sleepy ignored him, continuing to stare through the open window and barely observed the creature circling the castle like a hungry shark. Something more important had caught his attention. The beast snorted loudly and spotted Sleepy looking across the field. Potato threw himself in the air, his dark wings carrying him towards the curious boy.

But Sleepy remained unbothered as his eyes landed on the source of that delicious smell. His nose never failed to recognize the strong scent of camels. He smiled, proud of himself for being right. The camels charged closer and closer. And on one of the camels back rode his dirty, little savior.