Chapter 5

Coughs shook the medicine den as cats fought for their lives. Some writhed in pain, while others withered away lifelessly.  Tigerstar was not blinking, and his gaze was frozen on the ceiling of the medicine den. Occasionally, Dovewing would peer from the entrance of the medicine den to check on him, only to get a reprimanding glare from Jayfeather. She quickly backed away each time with a sigh, but Jayfeather couldn't stop her from trying to glance at her mate throughout the day.

Skykit and Creamkit cuddled together wrapped in each other's furry pelts, moaning in pain one after the other. Their high pitch squeaks scratched against the ears of all cats near them. Cinderheart was close by having a hard time staying awake. She was just as sick as her kits, but she suffered silently as she watched them with agony in her eyes. 

Crowstar had not said a word the entire day. He was unresponsive. The medicine cats had tried to open his eyes to get him to drink water, but they were sealed shut. 

Brambleclaw tossed and turned, coughing the most of all the cats. His neck would lunge back in tension and pain, only to pause and relax a moment later. Jessy's name came out of his mouth, as he murmured it many times and tossed with his sickness.  There was a point in the afternoon where Jayfeather had to leave the medicine den because he could not stand the tom's groaning for his long-lost she-cat.

The air was stuffy and congested with sickness. Each medicine cat took a turn to leave and check the healthy cats, making sure the sickness didn't spread. Secretly though, they also left to just get fresh air. The den was a well of suffocating, heavy air ridden with sickness.

It had been one and a half days since the first sick cat had emerged, and while the camp was finished, cats were still falling sick every day. It was hard for patrols to manage to catch enough prey. Every cat was on edge, knowing that all clans, and even StarClan, was overwhelmed with despair.

"How many sick cats today?" Jayfeather asked Leafpool, rinsing his paws in a small pool of water. He tried to keep a normal tone as much as possible, but he held his breath as he waited for her response.

"Rootspring, Brackenfur, Birchfall, Oakfur, Nightcloud, Featherpelt, Breezepelt, Gorsetail, Daisy, and Jayclaw." Leafpool's voice wavered slightly.  "Reedstar is having different Clan deputies make a makeshift medicine den, away from the healthy cats, but still nearby.  We are running out of space in the original medicine den." She paused for a moment, alarmed by Jayfeather's silence. Then she continued, "At least no cat has died yet." Her amber eyes looked at him.

Yet!, huffed Jayfeather, as he stomped away angrily. He felt frustrated and helpless with the situation. 

Leafpool watched him as he padded away, not sure of what she could say or do. 

She was interrupted by Mothwing's presence, as the Riverclan medicine cat joined her next to the pool. Leafpool hardly noticed her approaching. She was staring at her reflection in the pool with a dazed expression. 

Mothwing interrupted her thinking. "I managed to-" Mothwing coughed, "find some catmint that was not completely destroyed by the frost. Good thing too because it looks like it's about to snow."

Goosefeather was on a smooth, dark stone near the water resting and licking his paws. He groaned and plopped himself up at her words. 

"Snow! That'll make all the moss in the forest damp! How will I make a more comfortable nes-" He paused. Leafpool, Yellowfang, Willowshine, and Mothwing all glared at him. "I mean the herbs," he started again. "Yes, the herbs, of course. They might get cold. That would be terrible."

Willowshine sweet face turned sour, as she snorted. "If you're not going to do anything, you might as well make other cat's nests, instead of your own. Try not to fall asleep in the first one you make!" Willowshine added with a roll of her eyes. Goosefeather padded away, sighing with  his head turned downward and tail drooping.