Chapter 11

Cats spilled into the camp fairly quickly. Even the kits peered out of the nursery in curiosity. The medicine cats, except for Leafpool, also joined. Eventually the whole of the camp was so crowded with furry pelts that the ground was no longer visible.  

Squirrelstar stood in the center with an enraged Tigerstar standing close by. Firestar managed to come right behind her, followed by Leopardstar glaring at him with narrowed eyes. The leaders tried to move in towards Squirrelstar as the massive union of all the cats began.

"I have important information about the shadow cat."

Immediately, the camp fell silent. The kits withdrew back into the nursery. Nothing but the wind could be heard. It lashed in response to Squirrelstar's voice.

"Alderheart has had a vision. I believe it to be important, but I don't know how. That is why I am sharing it with all of you."

"Don't know how-" Thornclaw snorted nearby. Dustpelt rolled his eyes along side him.

Squirrelstar didn't glance their way and remained focused.

"Alderheart found an evidence of the shadow cat in the forest. It was a crow."

"A crow!" Tigerstar roared with an outrageous tone. He began pacing back and forth at the head of the meeting.

"Yes, a crow." Squirrelstar responded annoyed. "This crow was no ordinary crow. It was full of maggots, and it had the black shadow coming from it."

"Isn't it strange that the sign would be a crow? Where is Crowstar now?" Tigerstar moved in front of Squirrelstar to grasp the attention of all the cats.

"Tigerstar, this is not the time."

"He is missing, isn't he? And why would he be missing when all the other cats are here?!" Tigerstar moved in front of all the cats.

Immediately, WindClan warriors rose to their paws. "Are you hinting that this piece of prey makes our leader guilty?!"

 An uproar began as the WindClan cats began to bristle up, and the ShadowClan cats did also in response

"No," Tigerstar's eyes gleamed. "I am hinting nothing. I am just stating the obvious. The shadow is coming from a crow, and Crowstar is missing."

"Tigerstar!" Squirrelstar looked at him with her eyes blazing. "We are not here to start accusations."

Tawnypelt briskly came to her son's side. Her eyes burned at him, and he avoided her gaze, lifting his head proudly.

Hollyleaf moved forward, her green eyes darting at every cat around her. Her anxiety was building up inside of her.

"It is not Crowstar. Crowstar lost a life this morning to the shadow."

Yowls and meows filled the air in outrage. Squirrelstar stopped speaking, stunned. The noise of the cats was so loud, nothing could be heard. 

"Wait everyone-" Firestar began. He nodded to Squirrelstar. "I think we should listen to Squirrelstar first, then we can hear about Crowstar. We must know all the information. Every cat must remain calm, so we can listen." 

Leopardstar rolled her eyes.

Squirrelstar looked at her father hesitantly and continued. The gazes of so many cats fell upon her, and she felt overwhelmed by the situation. She knew she had to remain strong. Taking a deep breath, she continued.

"Alderheart also saw the black lands of StarClan and the Thunderpath. We believe there is a connection. We are asking any cat if they see the Thunderpath to be careful of the shadow. Maybe it is there hiding among the monsters. We are also going to have patrols go out and search for this crow. I am hoping we might find the scent of the cat nearby."