Chapter 3

OLIVER POV

The following Monday came way faster than I was expecting.

"Honestly, I've been kinda sleeping on Alex," Kate said at lunch.

The other two hadn't arrived yet, and we were staring at Dylan's table. Dylan was laughing. How was he so happy all the time? Like the kid was always smiling. God, his smile could kill me. His eyes light up when he laughs, making it look so genuine.

"He's fine," I said, "But, I mean come on,"

Kate rolled her eyes.

"I'm just gonna get my GE at this point," Tyler said, sitting in front of us.

"Oh no," Kate said.

"What happened?" I asked.

Tyler opened his bag of chips. "Tell them, Claire. I can't bear to say it out loud,"

That kid was so dramatic.

"He has a quiz this week," Claire said.

"It's the second week of school!" Tyler exclaimed.

"You can do it Tyler," I said, teasing, "I believe in you,"

"Can you help me with this worksheet?" Dylan said, looking down at his paper, eyebrows furrowed.

"Yeah," I said, "Wanna go to the library again?"

"I have practice today," he said, looking down, "But we still can! Just later,"

"Wanna come over?" I asked. Those words honestly just slipped out of my mouth. I can't believe I'd asked that.

"Sure," he said with a smile, seemingly unbothered.

I think I made things a bigger deal than they were.

It was perfect, Lilly was going over to her friend's. My mom would be home too, so Elle wouldn't be a problem.

I was so nervous. The most attractive man I'd ever met would be in my house.

I looked in the mirror to see myself in a sweater and black dickies. I looked at my curly brown hair, which actually looked really good.

This will do.

I heard a knock at the door. I ran downstairs to get it.
I took a second before I opened the door. I fixed my hair.

"Hey," I said, opening the door to see Dylan. He was wearing a long sleeve polo, black jeans, and black converse.

"Hi," he said.

"Come in," I said, moving past the door.

I turned around to see Elle with a baby doll in her hands, next to my mom. She quickly ran behind my legs.

"Hi, nice to meet you," Dylan said, shaking my mom's hand.

"You too," my mom said, "You're new right? I usually know all the kids here,"

I mentally groaned.

"Yeah, I moved here this summer after my dad got a new job," he said, "I live just a few blocks down,"

"Well, you guys chose a good spot," She smiled.

I felt Elle shift behind my legs, reminding me that she was still there hiding.

"Elle, it's fine. This is Dylan," I said softly.

Dylan bent down to his knees. He waved, "Hi Elle, it's nice to meet you,"