Chapter Five

It's been about a couple of days now and I hadn't seen or talked to Sam since the beach incident. I avoided him as much as I could since I really didn't have the nerves to see or even talk to him. I still am shocked those words slipped out of my mouth.

"EMMA! Come here!!" I heard Gabbi yell from her room. I rolled myself onto the floor and dragged myself into her room.

"Yessss?" I mumbled trying to keep myself awake.

"Tonight is the huge neighborhood barbecue at the park down the street! Want to go!?"

"Uhhh maybe. Who's going?"

"Like everyone in the neighboorhood! Like the Pottorffs and even Kian!" She winked, nudging me after saying Kians name.

"Ohh uhh I really don't feel in the mood to attend tonight..."

"What's up with you lately Em!? You never want to do anything!?"

"I just, I don't know, I'm tired and don't feel too well..."

"Ohh shut up, I know you too well and you're not sick! You are coming to the barbecue tonight even if I have to drag you there!"

"Fine. Ill go." I rolled my eyes and started to head back towards my room.

"Be ready by 5:30.. So we can start walking down at 545!" Gabbi shouted down the hall. Me not responding, just kept walking to my room. I really did not want to go to the barbecue.

✻✻✻✻✻✻✻✻✻✻✻✻✻✻✻✻

5:15 finally arrived after 2 hours of getting ready. I had put on my favorite blue crop top with a long cross necklace and my studded high waisted shorts with black sandals with blue jewels placed down the middle. My hair was in loose beach curls and my makeup was more of a natural look. I looked at myself in the mirror and honestly had no idea why I had spent the past two hours getting ready. I had no purpose.

Gabbi and I arrived at the park and placed the fruit and dessert we had brought on the picnic tables where all the other food was placed. So far there was no sign of Sam or Kian, which was a good sign, well for me. But yet again, I feel two strong arms wrap around my waist, and turn around and I was then facing kian. I greeted him with a friendly hug and turned back around to be facing Sam. We made awkward eye contact until he finally spit out the word "hi" .

"Hi..." I shyly replied. I looked down at his wrist to see him still wearing his friendship bracelet we had gotten, a warm smile crossed my face, then realized I had totally forgotten to put it on after my shower. There was then about a minute of awkward silence between the three of us until Gabbi came back from getting a drink. "Sam!!" She yelled while running up giving him a huge hug and kissed his cheek. To hide the emotions in, I just turned away and was now facing kian. I could tell Kian knew something was up. He grabbed me by my hand and pulled me towards the playground.

"Emma are you ok? You don't seem the same?" Kian asked seeming worried.

"I've been better.." I say under my breath.

"Tell me what's wrong! Maybe I could help!" Oh no. What do I say? I quickly tried to make up and excuse until Kians lips collide into mine. I didn't know what to do so I decided it would just be best to kiss back. There was no sparks or feeling in that kiss at all, it felt just like one of those kisses that was almost forced. I looked up at kian who was smiling, biting his lip.

"Hope that helped" I forced a small grin across my face signaling to him it had, and then see Sam and Gabbi approached us, Gabbi running with a huge smile on her face and Sam trailing behind.

"HOW CUTE!!!" Gabbi excitedly screams, pushing us into each other while hugging us at the same time.

"I know" kian smiled, looking at me who was looking at Sam who had rolled his eyes and then pulled out his phone.

"Well uhh lets eat I'm starving!" Gabbi says. We head towards the table where all the food is located. Everyone stacked up their plates with food and devoured it in minutes. We walked up to the playground and l sat up in the fort looking along the horizon, watching the sun fade away into the night. It started to get chilly since I was only wearing a tank top.

"I'm starting to get cold, I'm going to go back to the house. Ill be right back!" I say to the three of them. I walk towards the road and then an arm wraps around my shoulders.

"I'll go with you"

"Kian you don't hav-" i started to say but then looked to the side and saw Sam. "Sam?"

"Howdy!" He giggled. I laughed and we continued down to Gabbi's house for the most part in silence.

Once we reached her house I ran up the stairs skipping every other one, while Sam followed behind trying to copy me, but he could barely walk up the stairs from laughing to hard. He eventually reached the top and followed me into my room. I grabbed my sweater and Sam blocked the door so I couldn't exit.

"Forgetting something?" He say queuing me toward my dresser. I looked and saw the friendship bracelet we had gotten. I grabbed it and then slipped it on my wrist. Sam smiled and now let me out. We continued down the stairs until we were in the entry hall. I reached for the door handle until Sam hand grabbed my arm and pulled me back.

"Listen Emma about the other day-" I cut him off and began saying what I had wanted to say for a while now.

"I'm so sorry, it just slipped out. I didn't mean to say that! I know you and Gabbi are together and are perfect and me saying that was wrong. I'm so sorry." He looked at the ground and then back up at me.

"So uhh.. You and kian like each other now?"

"Not exactly..."

"What was with that kiss?"

"All of a sudden he just kissed me and I didn't know what to do.."

"Ohhh so then you don't like him?"

"I don't know, I'm really confused Sam." He again looked down at the ground and back into my eyes. Then all the memories of the past week came back to me as if I was now in the "real world".

It was the moment of truth. I looked into his beautiful brown eyes and he looked into mine. I couldn't believe this moment was actually happening. It was now happening. Sam slowly leaned in and I followed until our lips finally met. Sparks flew as if fireworks are exploding around us. Sams lips are in what it seems like sync with mine. Our kiss got interrupted with the front door opening and Gabbi then quickly slamming it behind her. I ran out the front door to see Gabbi crying in Kians chest. I walk back inside, slowly shutting the door behind me. Sam was still in shock. We didn't talk for a good ten minutes and then Sam spoke out the words with a shaky, and raspy voice, "I, I have feeling for you too Emma.."