Chapter 2

Lowen entered the dining room, where she found Nesta having lunch. Nesta's expression initially held a hint of a glare, likely anticipating Cassian's arrival, but that stubborn look quickly gave way to surprise when she saw Lowen standing there. Cassian joined Lowen, and the reason for her visit became clear.

"I thought Lowen could join us for lunch," Cassian announced, and Lowen greeted Nesta with an affectionate grin.

"Hello, my little monster," she said warmly, but Nesta wasted no time with pleasantries.

"Why are you really here?" Nesta cut straight to the point.

"Cassian thought I might convince you to train at Windhaven," Lowen responded directly, prompting Cassian to widen his eyes, his gaze shifting between the two females.

A faint smirk appeared on Nesta's lips, a surprising reaction that caught Cassian off guard.

"You won't," she declared confidently, but Lowen merely shrugged in response.

"Well, I get a free lunch out of it, so I think I'll stay anyway, if that's alright," Lowen replied casually, and as she took her seat, food materialized in front of her, aligning with Nesta's plate.

Cassian settled at the table, joining them for lunch, and an initial silence fell over them. Cassian started to wonder if this was a mistake when Nesta finally broke the silence.

"You weren't there," she said, her attention still fixed on her food.

Lowen paused, lifting her gaze from her plate to Nesta.

"When they ransacked your apartment and forced you up here?" Lowen inquired, and Cassian couldn't help but curse under his breath.

Nesta nodded, her gaze still fixed on her food.

"You weren't there. Too much of a coward to face me?" Nesta challenged, and Lowen chuckled, shaking her head.

"No, little monster. Rhys and Feyre didn't bother to share with me that they were staging an...intervention for you," she admitted, and Nesta's eyes widened ever so slightly.

Cassian observed the interaction closely, studying it. This was the most civil exchange Nesta had had with anyone since arriving here.

"Why?" Nesta asked simply.

Lowen took a bite of her bread before responding.

"They probably thought I'd try to stop it," she admitted, her tone casual as she stabbed at her beef stew.

Lowen continued eating, her expression focused on her food.

"Shows how little they know. I fully support you getting out of that awful apartment. It's been a long time coming. Didn't fully support how they did it, though. I shared that with Rhys and Feyre before I came here. I think they got the message," she explained, shoving another spoonful of beef stew into her mouth.

Nesta stared at her with wide eyes, processing Lowen's words.

"I don't understand why they couldn't just leave—"

"—don't do that," Lowen cut her off, and tension filled the room.

"What do you mean?" Nesta snapped.

Lowen's voice turned firm.

"Pretend like you don't understand why they did it. Their way was wrong, but their intentions were right," she said, and Nesta went rigid.

"So, because I ran up a bill a little too high—"

"—forget about the money you spent. Rhysand has more money than he knows what to do with. And disregard Feyre's embarrassment too," she hissed, her words sharp with conviction.

Cassian observed the scene with wide eyes, uncertain if he should interject. He was almost fascinated by the exchange.

"Then why are you on their side—"

"—I'm not on their side. I'm firmly on yours. But you were going to die in that apartment, Nesta," she said, and Cassian visibly flinched.

Nesta's eyes darted to him briefly before returning to Lowen's gaze.

"I wasn't—"

"—you were. And we didn't want you to die. Now you're here, and Cassian is offering to train you at Windhaven, and you're still being so stubborn. So, what do you want?" Lowen asked firmly.

Nesta stared at her, but her gaze was no longer cold or hard. Instead, she appeared on the verge of tears.

"What do you want?" Lowen repeated.

"I'm not training at that camp," Nesta said firmly, and Lowen nodded after a moment.

"Okay then," she said as she stood, causing the food to disappear from the table.

"Thank you," Lowen murmured, and Nesta's eyes widened.

"You talk to it too?" Nesta asked, her surprise evident.

"Only recently," Lowen replied.

Then she patted Cassian on the back and headed for the door. Nesta shot up quickly.

"Wait, you're leaving?" she asked, her voice filled with uncertainty.

Lowen paused and turned to her.

"Yes, for now. I just stopped by for lunch and to see you. I did both," she said, her tone gentle.

Nesta looked at Cassian briefly, then walked up to Lowen.

"You have to go right now?" she whispered, her eyes searching Lowen's.

Lowen's eyes softened slightly.

"Not particularly," she admitted, her expression warm.

Nesta remained silent, a mix of emotions flickering across her face.

"I could stay over, I suppose," Lowen said, a small smile on her lips.

Cassian watched as Nesta visibly relaxed, a hint of gratitude in her eyes.

"I do need to speak with Cassian first. I'll meet you in the house library. I brought that book you recommended. I have...a lot of feelings," she said, and Cassian almost gasped at Nesta's reaction.

She looked elated. It was so brief he thought he imagined it, but the way Nesta turned and headed for the library, a barely contained smile on her lips, told him otherwise. When she was out of sight, Cassian turned to Lowen.

"I don't understand it," he finally said, his brow furrowed, and Lowen smiled.

"That's okay, not many do. In regards to her training—"

"—way ahead of you. She doesn't want to train at Windhaven. I can't believe I didn't see it before," he chided himself.

Lowen chuckled, her voice reassuring.

"You just want to help her, and you're very close to this. Where will you train her?" she asked, and Cassian grinned.

"Here," he mused, and Lowen chuckled and nodded.

"That works out," she agreed.

"Thanks for coming up here. And staying," he said, gratitude in his tone.

"There are many things I'd do for my little monster," she mused and headed to the house library, leaving Cassian with a sense of hope.