Chapter 51

To Lowen's surprise, she discovered Nesta already perched at the bar, nursing a glass of wine. She seemed to be in the same boat as Lowen, avoiding her mate, for similar reasons. Lowen chuckled softly, realizing that they were two peas in a pod tonight.

She ordered another glass of fae wine and settled onto the barstool beside Nesta. They exchanged knowing glances, silently acknowledging the unspoken agreement to keep a low profile for now.

Just as she took a sip, Eris approached them.

"Congratulations on becoming the new High Lord of the Autumn Court, Eris," she offered, trying to keep the conversation light.

Eris smiled, a hint of genuine gratitude in his eyes.

"Thank you. And I wanted to thank you again for what you did at the last meeting of the High Lords a few months ago. You saved my life, and I won't forget it."

Lowen nodded, accepting his thanks gracefully.

"I've wanted your father gone for a while. It was long overdue, and I'm perfectly content with how things turned out."

Eris chuckled, and a sense of camaraderie settled among them as they continued to enjoy their drinks, avoiding the troubles that awaited them back at the table.

"You're not the only one who feels that way, to be perfectly frank," he admitted and Lowen chuckled, her eyes shifting to Helion, speaking with Eris's mother quietly in a corner of the room.

+

As the night wore on, Nesta and Lowen continued to drink way too much fae wine, and the effects were definitely starting to show. Their laughter grew louder, their words more slurred, and their movements less coordinated. They were having a blast, and it was apparent to anyone who cared to look their way.

Elain, Gwyn, Emerie and Feyre eventually joined their little intoxicated party, and they all got absolutely wasted, reveling in the rare freedom to let loose. They shared stories, secrets, and countless fits of giggles.

As the night grew late and the Starfall Ball continued in full swing, Malek couldn't help but notice that Maren was showing signs of exhaustion. Her little yawns were becoming more frequent, and she looked as if she might fall asleep in her chair at any moment.

Malek leaned toward Rhys and spoke in hushed tones.

"Rhys, is it alright if we stay the night? Maren's getting tired, and Elain..."

He gestured towards Elain, who was giggling uncontrollably and swaying from the effects of too much fae wine.

"Well, she's not in a state to winnow, and neither am I."

Rhys chuckled softly, understanding the predicament.

"Of course, Malek. Stay as long as you want. You're always welcome here."

Malek stood and approached the table where Elain, Nesta, Gwyn, Emerie, Feyre, and Lowen were sitting, their laughter and merriment echoing through the room. Malek gently touched Elain's shoulder, drawing her attention.

"Elain," he murmured.

"I'm going to bring Maren to a room to lay down. She's exhausted. We'll stay here for the night," he said, glancing at Maren, who was blinking heavily and trying to stifle another yawn.

Elain, her cheeks flushed from the wine, turned to look at Malek. She shook her head vigorously, her movements a bit exaggerated from the alcohol.

"No, no, I'll go too," she insisted.