Chapter 79

Author's Note: Hi everyone! There is one more chapter after this one that concludes this series...for now! I hope you enjoy it! 

Several hours had passed since Lowen and Azriel arrived at the House of Wind. Through their connection, Azriel had informed the rest of the group that they were fine and requested that no one come up unless he specifically called for them. Reluctantly, the group agreed, but they also made him promise to check in every hour.

Azriel sat quietly in the living room, absorbed in a report from one of his spies. The calm was periodically interrupted by the sound of cursing and loud bangs from the kitchen, but he chose to stay focused on his reading, assuming Lowen was managing whatever she was doing.

Suddenly, another curse from Lowen was followed by a sharp cry of pain. He shot up from his seat and rushed into the kitchen. The scene before him was chaotic - the kitchen was an absolute mess, covered in flour, whipped cream, and chocolate sauce. Lowen, also splattered with the various ingredients, was clutching her hand tightly while trying to put out a small fire.

Quickly, Azriel extinguished the fire and then turned his attention to Lowen, taking her injured hand to inspect it.

"It's just a small burn," Lowen said, her frustration evident in her tone.

As she spoke, she squeezed the whipped cream canister in her other hand a bit too hard. It burst, sending a shower of cream over both of them, leaving them both covered in the creamy mess.

Lowen's gaze slowly lifted to meet Azriel's, and upon seeing him covered in whipped cream, a giggle escaped her lips. The coldness that had been present in her eyes started to break away as her giggle turned into an uncontrollable laugh.

Azriel, surprised by this sudden change, couldn't help but join in, his own laughter light but genuine.

"Are you okay?" he asked, his voice laced with concern.

Lowen nodded, a small smile on her lips as she reached up to wipe a bit of whipped cream from his cheek.

"I've been thinking...about my darkness. Instead of constantly trying to lock it away, I'm considering confronting it, perhaps even accepting it," she shared, revealing a depth of introspection that caught him off guard.

"What's brought this on?" he asked curiously.

Her smile wavered, touched by a hint of melancholy.

"How can I expect you to embrace every part of me if I haven't fully embraced myself?" she posed, her words striking a chord within him.

His response was immediate.

"I love every part of you," he said firmly.

Her smile grew warmer.

"You love what I've shared with you. But there are parts of me that I've kept hidden, even from myself. I thought it was safer to avoid my darkness, fearing the worst, even considering confinement over facing it. But now, I wonder if it's time to confront it, to accept it...maybe even to love it," she mused softly.

"Well then, I'm ready when you are," he said and she bumped her head against his affectionately.

Azriel took her hand from his cheek and gently placed her burned finger in his mouth, tasting the whipped cream. Lowen's eyes widened, and her mouth parted slightly in surprise at his bold move.

"Do you remember when I said what my favorite dessert was?" Azriel asked, his voice low and suggestive.

Blushing, she nodded slowly.

Azriel looked at her, the shadows in his gaze swirling like black smoke, signaling a shift in his demeanor. Lowen noticed the change and felt a thrill run through her, her specter becoming giddy with anticipation.