Chapter 47

Malek gradually awakened in his bed, the morning light filtering through the windows. He didn't remember when he fell asleep and laid there for a moment, feeling a lingering warmth from the connection with Elain. He reached out to her and gently let her know that he had to go for now.

Please come home soon, she whispered back, her thoughts sleepy and jumbled.

I will, Malek assured her.

Slowly, he withdrew from the connection, carefully raising his mental shields to prepare for the day. After a refreshing bath, he got dressed, planning to begin the day. However, as he was pulling on his pants, he heard a faint whisper of a voice outside his door that made him freeze.

Sanna.

He raced outside, flinging the door open, but there was no one there. The corridor remained

empty, leaving Malek both puzzled and cautious. He blinked and fortified his mental barriers.

I really need to start getting more sleep.

+

As he walked into the main area, he found Feyre, Rhys, and Cassian already present. He quietly took a seat, pouring himself a cup of coffee to help clear his mind. Before he could fully settle in, Feyre approached him and sat down beside him.

"How's Elain doing?" she inquired.

Malek offered a small, reassuring smile.

"I checked in with her last night, and she's doing well."

Malek cleared his throat.

"How's Nyx? Causing any trouble yet?"

A fond chuckle escaped Feyre.

"He's growing fast. He'll be causing quite a bit of trouble in no time."

Malek let a chuckle escape his lips as he sipped his coffee. Feyre paused for a moment before going for it.

"I was wondering, would you and Elain be interested in attending Starfall this year?"

Malek was initially about to politely refuse when Feyre surprised him by taking his hand and leaning in a bit closer. Her eyes sparkled with sincerity.

"You don't have to refuse because Lucien will be there. He brought Vassa last time. I'm confident he's moved on. I'd really love to have you and Elain there. It's a special night, and it would mean a lot to me."

Malek considered her request.

"I'll speak with Elain on it," he relented and she grinned, making him smirk.

They observed the arrival of the other High Lords, and Malek noticed a hint of concern in Feyre's expression as her smile wavered.

"Are you alright?" he inquired.

Feyre looked at him, her mask of composure slipping slightly.

"I'm worried about Mor and Lowen," she confessed, and Malek nodded in understanding.

"Lowen will be alright. She doesn't die easily," he reassured her, offering a faint smile.

Feyre smiled weakly in return.

"No, she doesn't. But I'm sure she's tired of people trying to kill her," she mused softly.

Malek absentmindedly swirled his coffee in its cup.

"It comes with our history. We're quite used to it," he replied thoughtfully, and Feyre took his hand again, giving it a reassuring squeeze.

"But you shouldn't have to be used to that. You deserve better," she said, her gaze firm.