Chapter 57

Azriel awoke abruptly from a nightmarish memory, his breath coming in ragged gasps, his body shaking uncontrollably. He sat up rapidly, alarm etched on his face as he stared at his hands, the horrific memory of his brothers setting them on fire still vivid in his mind.

In that instant, Lowen winnowed into the room, drawn by the surge of his fear and alarm. Azriel's eyes widened at her sudden appearance, but as she reached out to comfort him, he instinctively flinched away, the nightmare still too raw and real in his mind.

Lowen paused, understanding his need for space. She gave him a moment to breathe, to separate the haunting images of his dream from the safety of the present.

Slowly, Azriel lifted his head, his eyes filled with pain and vulnerability as he struggled to meet her gaze. The sight of his distress, his trembling hands, ignited a fierce protectiveness in her.

"I'm just going to check on you, to make sure you're okay," she said softly.

Her approach was gentle and measured, respecting his current state while providing the reassurance and care he needed.

She looked into his eyes, her voice steady and reassuring.

"You're okay," she told him, her words meant to ground him in the present moment.

Azriel, however, was still caught in the lingering pain of the nightmare.

"I can still feel the burning," he confessed, his voice a mere whisper.

Lowen's expression darkened as she gently, yet cautiously, took his hands in hers. Azriel winced at the contact, shaking his head.

"How can you even stand to have me touch you with these hands?" he asked quietly.

Lowen was taken aback by his question, and tears welled up in her eyes.

"Do you feel the same about the scars on my back?" she asked.

His response was immediate and emphatic.

"No, never," he said, the realization of his words jolting him.

Lowen shrugged slightly.

"I used to think my scars were ugly and something to be ashamed of, but you helped me see them as beautiful."

"They are beautiful," Azriel affirmed without hesitation.

"You made me believe in that beauty," Lowen continued, her eyes holding his.

"And I wouldn't change anything about you. I love your scars, just as you love mine."

With that, she kissed his scarred hands, her actions not meticulous but filled with an earnest, heartfelt affection. He shuddered, his eyes squeezing shut in response.

Lowen moved closer to him. She gently placed his hands on her, her movements deliberate and filled with intent.

"I want your hands all over me," she whispered.

She looked into his eyes, her gaze intense and unwavering.

"Sometimes, when we're away from each other, it's your touch I crave, your hands I think about, scars and all. No one else."

Azriel's breath caught in his throat.

"Did you miss me while I was away, my beautiful shadow?" she murmured softly, and a poignant, yearning sound escaped from deep within his throat as he enveloped her in an intense, all-encompassing embrace.

His wings draped over them like a protective cocoon, and he buried his face in the curve of her neck. His shadows clung to her, wrapping around her arms and through her hair, almost afraid she would pull away from them.