Chapter 7: Dark Cupid Part 1

In the weeks following Jim's babysitting blunder and Despair Bear's akumatization, it seemed that things on both Marinette's and Jim's respective sides of the world were going smoothly. However, when Jim was working to mend bridges with Claire and focus on his schoolwork while Blinky and Aaarrrgghh!!! were working to show NotEnrique to Vendel, things were picking up in Paris.

As luck would have it, the City of Love was celebrating Valentine's Day. While it was a bit of a concern to both Marinette and Adrien in regards to Hawkmoth possibly akumatizing someone heartbroken that day, they had bigger things to worry about. This is what Adrien had been focusing on in class instead of participating in the Literature lesson Ms Bustier was teaching that day, which just so happened to be themed around the current holiday.

"Now, as we have discussed, the prince breaks the spell by kissing the princess in most fairy tales. Can anyone tell us why?" Miss Bustier questioned the class, leaning against the front of her desk as she faced her students

"Because only love can conquer hate!" Rose replied as she enthusiastically stood up from her seat, followed by her swooning at the thought.

"Correct, Rose." Miss Bustier said, happy that she was paying attention to the lesson while the girl in pink sat back down. But no sooner than she did, Max had stood up from his seat, too.

"Technically speaking, this reasoning is only exhibited in about 87% of all fairy tales and-" Max spoke up, assuming the posture of a proper professor as he made his point.

"Thank you, Max. That's enough." Miss Bustier interrupted, while glad that Max was getting so in-depth with the lesson but not needing to know the specifics of the subject. But after she had said so, Ms Bustier had noticed Marinette trying to look over Adrien's shoulder as he wrote something on a piece of paper, clearly more focused on that than the lesson.

"Adrien, I hope what you're writing has to do with my lesson." the teacher remarked as she stepped towards the model, causing Marinette to gasp when she saw Miss Bustier approaching Adrien. "Can you tell me what I just said?" Miss Bustier asked, now standing in front of Adrien's desk before the blonde finally looked up from his writing.

" 'That's why in most fairy tales, the prince breaks the spell by kissing the princess because only love conquers hate.' " Adrien recited in a tired voice, revealing that he had been listening the whole time. A little habit he had picked up during photoshoots when the photographer rambled on about things while he waited for them to decide what to do.

"Very good, Adrien!" Ms Bustier praised just seconds before the bell rang, surprised that he seemed to be so good at multitasking. Once the familiar sound echoed through the school, all of the students started packing up to head home. "Now, everyone, don't forget to finish Sleeping Beauty by Charles Perrault tonight. Happy Valentine's Day, students!" the red-haired teacher farewelled the teens as they left the classroom, herself following soon after them. But the same couldn't be said for either a still-writing Adrien or a still-curious Marinette.

"Hey, go ahead, I'll meet you outside." Marinette said to Alya, eager to see if she could find out what her crush was up to.

"No problem, gurl." Alya replied, followed by her slipping out of her seat and walking to the door.

Now that everyone else had left the room, Marinette continued trying to peek over Adrien's shoulder as he kept on writing what he was working on earlier. However, her efforts were rewarded when a now frustrated Adrien crumpled up the paper, rose from his seat and grabbed his bag to exit the room, tossing the paper into the garbage can as he went by. Seeing the opportunity presented to her, Marinette couldn't help the joyous chuckle escaping her before making her way to the trash can to find the paper Adrien had thrown out. But had she been more aware of her surroundings, the designer would have seen Chloé and Sabrina walking up to Adrien as he just stepped out of the classroom.