Homecoming

***Jeremiah Woods in MM***

Harper's recovery had gone by fairly slow. They had my baby so drugged up that she had barely been able to open her eyes for the past two weeks, but through it all I stayed with her every night, massaging her feet, painting her toenails, greasing her scalp; little things I knew that she'd appreciate. Sleep consumed her on most days, allowing me to step out for a few hours to wrap up the details of the surprise that I had started planning for her a few weeks ago. She'd been scheduled to go home a week ago but the doctor said that her wounds weren't healing as well as they should, so they kept her under observation.

Her family had been back and forth checking on her everyday, frazzling what little nerves that I had left. My tongue was damn near severed due to how many times I'd bitten it trying to keep the peace. I didn't realize when Harper's father gave me his blessing that it didn't come with the approval of his family. On most days, he'd played mediator between me, Lola, and Jeremiah, who'd made it ever so clear that they didn't care for or trust me when it came to Harper.

It was half-past one when the doctors finally finished up their last minute tests and decided that Harper was well enough to finally go home. While Lola and Jonathon, who'd been here since nine this morning, rejoiced over her release, I called Rosa and asked her to bring Harper a change of clothes.

With that resolved, I headed for her room to see her sitting up on the side of the bed.

"Hey baby," I called to her.

She glanced over her shoulder and smiled at me reminding me of yet another thing that I loved about her. This was the first time that I'd seen her not hooked up to anything since her arrival at the hospital. Although a smile lit up her face, I could sense the tentativeness behind it. Other than a few greeting words, she hadn't spoken much since I told her about the loss of the baby.

"How you feeling?" I asked, coming to stand in front of her.

"Glad to be going home," she stated wearily. "I know we need to talk."

"Yea, we do." I nodded in agreement.

"Hey sweet pea," her father entered, followed closely by Lola.

Harper and I shared a look knowing that our talk would have to wait.

"Later," I promised softly against her lips.

With a nod of her head, she consented to my unscheduled rain check.

Lola rushed over to kiss her daughter's cheek as I back away and took a seat across the room.

"I know you must be excited to finally go home." Jonathon pecked her forehead.

"You have no idea," she said quietly, stealing a glance at me before winking.

"C'mon baby, let's tame this hair of yours." Lola said removing a hairbrush and a rat tail comb from her purse, along with a bottle of hair lotion.

Just as she'd finally gotten it under some control, Rosa walked in with a bag swung over her shoulder.

I thanked her before introducing her to Lola and Jonathon. With formalities exchanged, she helped Harper into the bathroom to get changed.

As soon as the door closed, Lola's eyes settled on me. "Andre," she ran her manicured hand through her silky, layered hair. "I've never been one to beat around the bush and I don't see a reason to do so now."

I eyed her, wondering what the hell she was getting at before glancing at Jonathon who was now giving his wife a death glare.

"Lola," his voice seemed to send out a warning.