Brokenhearted

When you're sleeping with a broken heart, then waking up is the hardest part. John Mayer's lyrics played in the back of my mind as my eyes parted from their percoset-induced slumber. Not even thirty seconds had passed before the tears had returned to the wells of my eyes and the heart-wrenching ache resumed its place in my chest. The pain was so overwhelming that it had easily taken over all my senses; I could feel it, see it, hear it, taste it. I closed my eyes to block the flow of tears which involuntarily caused one to trail down my cheek.

Wiping it away, I looked over at Caryn who was seated beside me, my hand wrapped tightly in hers.

"You okay?" She asked, glancing over at me.

"No," I sighed. "How long have I been out?"

"About four hours. The pilot said that we'd be landing soon." When I didn't respond, she continued, "So...what's the game plan when we touchdown in LB?"

"I don't know," I answered, quietly allowing my eyes to drift back down to our intertwined fingers just as a sense of deja vu came over me.

***FOURTEEN HOURS PRIOR***

My heart was beating one hundred miles per minute as I chewed on my bottom lip in the passenger seat of the rented Camry. Caryn sat to my left in the driver's seat calmly tailing Andre's rented Range Rover. She reached over and squeezed my hand.

"Calm down...he's not going to see us." She assured me.

The mid-day traffic allowed us to blend in inconspicuously without Dre spotting us but for some reason my nerves were still in a bundle.

Selena was stretched out across the backseat while Cori chose to stay behind, not wanting to cancel her romantic getaway with Jared.

"Bitch do you need a drink?" Selena asked, glancing at me from across the seat.

"She needs something to calm her nerves," Caryn said, switching lanes.

"Here...drink this," Selena told me, reaching into her over-sized Chanel purse that she'd conveniently made into her own personal minibar. She pulled out a tiny bottle of Hennessy and gave it to me.

"Thanks," I said, graciously opening it and downing the majority of it, ignoring the sharp burn that it left in my chest.

We had landed in New York almost two hours ago and I wasted no time using the GPS that Andre had downloaded on our phones a few months back to track his whereabouts. It led us to Blackwood Cemetery where I assumed he was visiting with his late father and grandmother.

Twenty minutes later we watched from afar as he made his way back to his rental with a sullen expression covering his handsome face. It pained me that I couldn't go and comfort him at that moment but my sympathy quickly turned to confusion as he made his way to his next destination.

***PRESENT TIME***

"Harper," Caryn's voice jolted me out of my thoughts. Her hand was stroking my arm and concern was etched across her face.

"What did you say?"

"I was asking if you wanted to stay at my house until you figure out what you're going to do."

"No, he'll be able to find me at your house." I told her. "I can't see him right now."

"You're going to have to see him at some point, you sure you don't want to just get it over with?"

I let out a deep breath as Selena returned to her seat on the opposite side of me. "I just...I need some time."

They both gave me sympathetic smiles.