Chapter 4- Feelings under a Veil

Riley left the tracks. She was going to wait for Logan but wanted to give him space to cool off and have him reflect on his day by himself. So now Riley is sitting on their bed within their hotel room, waiting for him to arrive, which should be within the next hour or two.

As Riley sits in their hotel room, she can't help but replay the events of the race in her mind. She understands Logan's drive for perfection and his disappointment in not achieving what he had hoped for. Racing is a demanding sport, and emotions can run high, especially after one so challenging. Riley takes a moment to reflect on the positives. P12 in his first Grand Prix is an accomplishment, and she genuinely believes in his potential to do even better in the upcoming races. F1 is unpredictable, with factors beyond the driver's control, like pit stops and unexpected events on the track.

Riley considers ways that she could uplift Logan's spirits in the future without dismissing his feelings. She knows that being there for him is crucial, providing both emotional support and understanding. Racing is a team effort, and Riley plays a vital role in Logan's support system.

When Logan finally arrives, she plans to approach the conversation with a mix of empathy and apologizing for not listening to him more initially after the race. But Logan never showed up. Or well he did. But it was after Riley had fallen asleep.

Hours after.

He was gone all day which she didn't blame him for, but she would've appreciated a call before hearing him burst through the door of the hotel room in the middle of the night, hearing a drunken Oscar yelling his goodbyes from behind him.

"Yea Yea see you tomorrow" Logan yells back to him.

Riley stirs in her sleep, feeling disoriented as she's awakened by the commotion at the hotel room door. The dim glow from the bedside lamp reveals Logan's tired and somewhat disheveled appearance. The scent of alcohol lingers in the air, indicating that he and Oscar might have spent a considerable amount of time at the bar.

Logan, though somewhat inebriated, notices Riley waking up. He tries to muster a smile, but it's clear that the events of the night have taken a toll on him. Riley, still groggy, sits up in bed, concern etched across her face.

"Where were you?" she asks, her voice a mix of worry and mild frustration.

Logan hesitates for a moment, his gaze dropping to the floor. "I needed some time to clear my head," he admits, avoiding eye contact.

Riley takes a deep breath, realizing that the conversation she had planned may need to be adjusted given the circumstances. She softens her tone. "Well a call would have been nice."

Logan looks unapologetic, "Sorry I didn't know you needed to know where I am at all times."

Riley scoffs, being struck with his sudden attitude that she didn't recall him having months ago. "You know what" she pauses "You're right" she gives him a flat smile before turning off the lamp beside the bed that she had kept on previously while she was waiting for him to get back.

Logan sighs and takes a seat on the bed beside Riley, watching as she closes her eyes, turning her back to him. Riley had watched the race, cheered him on, tried to support him afterwards, wanted to give him his space after, waited in their hotel room all day for him, and all night. Maybe she should have asked where he was differently, maybe she shouldn't have said a call would've been nice. Maybe Logan should've given her a call, or maybe in the end it didn't matter.

The room turned to silence as Riley fell asleep, and Logan contemplated the weight of the situation. The air feels heavy with unspoken tension, a stark contrast to the excitement they usually share.